SPARTANBURG, S.C. – After finishing 2-1 during opening weekend, the USC Upstate baseball team returns to the diamond as it hosts Furman Wednesday. First pitch at Harley Park is slated for 4 p.m.
Upstate cruised to victories in its first two contests as the Spartans totaled 22 runs, while allowing just two. The Spartans defeated Eastern Michigan, 12-1, in the opener and claimed a 10-1 victory over Ball State Saturday.
Upstate fell to Kentucky Monday afternoon as the Spartans managed just two hits in the 6-0 loss to the Wildcats.
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• Upstate's first 11 games of the season will take place at the friendly confines of Harley Park.
• The Spartans scored 22 runs in their first three contests, compared to eight for their opponents.
• Gaither Bumgardner and Brody Greer paced the Spartans during opening weekend... Bumgardner batted .462 (6-13, 1 double) while tallying four RBI and one run... Greer had five hits in 12 at-bats (.417) and scored four runs.
• Rookie Greg Guers was the starting first baseman against Eastern Michigan... He was 3-for-5 at the plate with two runs and one RBI in his collegiate debut.
• Freshman L.J. Newman was the Upstate DH against Ball State... In his collegiate debut, he tallied two hits, two runs and two RBI.
• David Roseboom and Scott DeCecco picked up wins in their first starts of the season... Roseboom was the opening day starter against Eastern Michigan... The sophomore pitched six scoreless innings, allowing just four hits and one walk, while recording four strikeouts... Meanwhile, DeCecco, faced Ball State and allowed just one earned run on three hits in five innings on the mound... The Spartan junior struck out five batters Saturday.
• David Palladino made his collegiate debut with a relief appearance Saturday against Ball State... The rookie was perfect in sixth and seventh innings as he retired all six batters he faced... He struck out the first four collegiate batters he faced... Palladino was a 13th-round draft pick of the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
The Scouting Report – Furman
• Furman sits 1-2 on the season and prior to Wednesday's contest at Upstate, the Paladins host Presbyterian College Tuesday at 4 p.m. at Latham Stadium. The Paladins defeated Miami (Ohio) in the season opener, 10-2. Bobby Lyne (1-0) earned the win after allowing just two runs on four hits in six innings of work. The senior struck out five Miami batters. Furman closed out the weekend with a doubleheader Saturday against the RedHawks and the Paladins dropped both games (L, 2-8; L, 11-12).
• Will Owens leads the team with a .500 batting average. He was 6-for-12 at the plate with nine runs and three RBI. Two other players are batting above .400 so far this season: Will Miller (.429) and Will Muzika (.417).
• Wednesday starter Tyler Wood finished 2011 with a 3-5 record and a 6.52 ERA in 69.0 innings.