SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team will begin a five-game, five-day stretch when they host Albany Saturday afternoon at Harley Park. First pitch between the Spartans and the Great Danes is set for 1 p.m.
Upstate will also host Air Force (Sat.) and Valparaiso (Sun.) before making their first road trip of the season. The Spartans will travel to the Low Country for contests at The Citadel (Tues.) and Charleston Southern (Wed.).
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• Upstate's first 11 games of the season will take place at the friendly confines of Harley Park.
• The Spartans have scored 65 runs in their first eight contests, compared to 22 for their opponents.
• David Palladino picked up his second victory after allowing just one run on five hits in seven innings vs. Georgia State... Palladino struck out seven batters for the second consecutive outing... Chad Sobotka tossed a perfect ninth to earn his third save in six days.
• The series sweep of Eastern Kentucky (Feb. 24-26) was the first for the Spartan baseball program since Feb. 27-28, 2010 (Courtyard by Marriott Baseball Classic)
• Brandon Lee was named the A-Sun Pitcher (Feb. 27) after firing a complete game shutout in the series finale against Eastern Kentucky (Feb. 26)... Lee, who tossed 105 pitches (73 strikes), struck out 12 Colonels while giving up just four hits and one walk... The junior also picked up National Guard Spartan of the Week honors.