Spartans to Close out Six-Game Homestand Tuesday Evening
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team (21-7) will kick-off the second half of the 2012 campaign when it hosts Davidson (10-15) Tuesday night at Harley Park. First pitch between the Spartans and the Wildcats is slated for 6 p.m.
Live stats will be available via www.upstatespartans.com and the contest will air on ASun.TV.
Join the conversation on Twitter: @UpstateSpartans / #UpstateBSB
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• The Spartans, for the fourth consecutive week, are ranked in the College Baseball Daily Mid-Major Top-25 Poll (Mar. 26)... The Spartans remained in the 24th slot for the second-straight week.
• With 21 wins on the season, the Spartans have surpassed last season's win total (19-36) and the last time Upstate won 20 or more games in a season was the first season of D-I play (25-29, 2008). The club, at 7-2 in league play, is just three wins shy of tying its conference win total from a season ago (10-18).
• The Spartans sent 12 batters to the plate in the fifth inning in Sunday's finale against Florida Gulf Coast (Apr. 1)... Upstate scored eight runs (seven earned) on six hits in the inning as the club posted a 10-2 win and claimed the series two games to one.
• Junior Brandon Lee improved to 4-2 after allowing one run (two total) on four hits... During his 118-pitch outing, Lee struck out eight and surrendered zero walks... Tyler Miller, Austin Liput and Trey Richardson paced the Spartan offense as the trio combined for six hits, four runs and two RBI (both by Richardson).
• Upstate, trailing 4-3, had Jordan Stampler in scoring position at second in the bottom of the ninth, but Stampler was left stranded as the Eagles took the middle game of the three-game set (Mar. 31).
• For the second consecutive week, the Spartans encountered a rain delay on a Friday night... Leading 4-0 (bottom of the seventh), Friday's contest was halted in the second rain delay of the evening... The game resumed Saturday afternoon and the Spartans tacked on two more runs to conclude the scoring at 6-0.
• David Roseboom improved to 5-0 as he allowed just five hits and one walk while tying a career-high with six punchouts in seven complete innings... His strong performance earned the southpaw A-Sun Pitcher of the Week honors.
• Tyler Miller (2-for-4, 2R) and Trey Richardson (2-for-3, 2B, 3B, 3RBI) led the Spartans to the series opening win over FGCU.
• Seven different Spartans tallied multiple hits in the 11-3 victory over Gardner-Webb (Mar. 28)... Luke Weber led the charge with a 4-for-6 effort (2B, HR) and one run and one RBI... Trey Richardson tallied three hits and two runs, while Jordan Stampler, Greg Guers, Tyler Miller, Austin Liput, and Tyler Cook all posted two hits in the 17 hit performance.
• After taking a 5-0 lead against Charlotte (Mar. 27) after three innings, the Spartans were outscored 12-1 over the final four innings as the 49ers claimed the 12-6 victory... The contest was even at 6-6 before Charlotte tacked on six runs in the top of the ninth... Greg Guers paced the Spartans with two hits, two runs and one RBI.
• Upstate picked up its first-ever series win against North Florida (Mar. 23-25)... David Roseboom (4-0) tossed a career-high 7.2 innings in the series opener with Chad Sobotka closing out the Ospreys for his sixth save.... In the middle game of the three-game set, David Palladino (3-1) earned the win in relief after tossing a pair of scoreless innings (7th and 8th).
• Luke Weber finished 5-for-6 at the plate with four RBI and three runs as the Spartans downed North Florida, 14-8 (3/25/12, DH Game 1)... Weber is the first Spartan since Austin Liput (Mar. 20, 2010, at ETSU) to tally five or more hits in a game.