Spartans to Kick-off May with Road Contests at Wofford and Georgia State
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team, riding a seven-game win-streak, will return to action following more than a week off from competition due to exams when they battle Wofford Tuesday night at 6 p.m.
The Spartans will then travel to the state of Georgia for a 6 p.m. contest at Georgia State on Wednesday night.
Live stats will be available for both contests, while live audio (Georgia State) and live video (Wofford) will also be available. Fans can also join the conversation on twitter: @UpstateSpartans / #UpstateBSB.
• The 2012 season marks the first season of full NCAA Division I eligibility for the Spartans... After a five-year transitional phase from D-II to D-I, Upstate is eligible for postseason play.
• Head Coach Matt Fincher is in his 15th season at the helm of the Spartan baseball program.
• The Spartans picked up their third conference series sweep of the season as the club claimed all three victories over Jacksonville (Apr. 20-22).
• Brody Greer finished a triple shy of the cycle (including his first career HR) and scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth as the Spartans downed the Dolphins, 3-2 (Apr. 20)... Ben Augenstein earned the win in relief and improved to 2-1 after tossing 1.2 innings of scoreless baseball (0 hits, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts).
• The Spartans scored four unearned runs in the 3rd and registered its lone hit of the game in the 5th en route to a 4-2 win in the middle game of the Jacksonville series... Scott DeCecco earned his fifth win of the season after allowing just two runs on eight hits in 6.1 innings of work... Chad Sobotka, meanwhile, picked up his 10th save of the season to move within two saves of tying the single-season school-record.
• Brandon Lee tossed his fourth complete game of the season and the Spartans tallied 11 runs in the eighth inning to claim a 12-4 win in the finale against the Dolphins.
• With the 9-6 victory over North Carolina A&T (Apr. 17), the Spartans set a new D-I era record with 26 wins... The Spartans previous high came in the first season of D-I play (2008) when the club posted 25 victories.
• Greg Guers paced the Spartans with a 3-for-4 effort against the Aggies... Guers connected on a three-run homer in the top of the first en route to a three RBI and three run performance.
• Chris Cox improved to 2-0 after tossing five complete innings against North Carolina A&T... The junior, lefty allowed three runs on five hits with four walks and two strikeouts... L.J. Newman, Andrew Wyant and Jake Waller kept the Spartans in front and Chad Sobotka closed the door on the Aggies to pick up his ninth save of the season.
• Upstate snapped a nine-game losing streak to ETSU with a 6-4 victory in the series opener (Apr. 13)... The Spartans went on to sweep the series, their first series win over ETSU since 2008 and the first-ever sweep.
• Austin Liput led Upstate with a 3-for-4 effort to go along with three runs and three RBI as the senior finished a double shy of the cycle in the 6-4 win over ETSU (Apr. 13)... Luke Weber led the Spartans with four hits, three runs and two RBI in the second game (Apr. 14)... Weber's RBI in the top of the 11th proved to be the game-winner as Upstate defeated the Bucs, 8-7... All nine starters recorded at least one hit in the finale at ETSU as the Spartans held on for a 9-7 win.
• Against Charleston Southern (Apr. 10) the middle of the Spartan lineup (Greg Guers, Tyler Miller & Trey Richardson) combined for six hits, five RBI and three runs. At Wofford (Apr. 11), the Spartans were led at the plate by Tyler Cook's 3-for-5 effort with two RBI.