Spartans Set for A-Sun Series at Jacksonville
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: David Beall, firstname.lastname@example.org
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team returns to Atlantic Sun Conference action this weekend, traveling south for a three-game weekend series at Jacksonville University.
- The USC Upstate baseball team returns to Atlantic Sun Conference action this weekend, traveling south for a three-game weekend series against Jacksonville University.
- The Spartans have won three straight against the Dolphins and four of the last six in the all-time series, but Upstate is just 6-9 against JU since entering the A-Sun in 2008.
- The Spartans are looking to pick up their first road victory of the year this weekend, sitting at 0-3 away from home with losses at Furman, Gardner-Webb and No. 5 South Carolina.
- Upstate swept a three-game series from the Dolphins last season at Harley Park, picking up wins 3-2, 4-2 and 12-4.
- In his 16th year at the helm of the Spartans, head coach Matt Fincher has 357 career victories and will be looking for his 60th career A-Sun victory Friday evening.
- The Spartans will trot their aces to the mound Friday and Saturday with Brandon Lee (4-1) and David Roseboom (4-0) looking to set the table to open the series.
- Following a weekend series at Jacksonville, the Spartans return home for four straight games, battling cross-town rival Wofford in mid-week action, before Northern Kentucky comes to town for a three-game set.
- The A-Sun is home to five pitchers with four wins this season and two of them will take the mound this weekend for the Spartans. Brandon Lee (4-1) and David Roseboom (4-0) combine for the most wins in the league.
- Jacksonville's Chris Anderson has established himself as the most dominate pitcher in the A-Sun, posting a 3-1 mark with a 1.16 ERA in 38.2 innings of work. His 50 strikeouts top the league charts and the junior has only surrendered four extra base hits on the year.
- While the strong arm of Anderson has posted three of Jacksonville's seven wins this season, the rest of the Dolphin starters have combined for just a 3-11 mark.
- The Dolphins have been outscored by 53 runs this season, crossing the plate just 91 times to rank 8th in the league.
- Jacksonville ranks 9th in the conference with a .321 on base percentage, while the Spartans are fourth at .388.
- Upstate leads the A-Sun in hit by pitches with 27 on the season.
PATTERSON'S PERFECTION: With seven multi-hit games this season, including a two and four runs batted in Wednesday against UNC Asheville, Brandon Patterson continues to lead the team in batting average at .423, which ranks third in the conference. After opening the year with nine hits in four games, he has become one of the most consistent and dangerous hitters in the league.
FINCHER-ISMS: ETSU Saturday Postgame: "That was a much better job today with the bats. It seemed like batting practice was more purposeful today and I think they understand we didn't play very well last night so they came out and did a much better job and hopefully it carries over into tomorrow."
UNC Asheville Postgame: "I liked the seven-run inning a lot. We were kind of dead in the water at that point and we came right back so that's a good sign."
STREAK IS SAFE: Tyler Lesch continues to reach base and do so in impressive fashion, as the junior has reached base safely in 15 consecutive games. He has reached with a hit in 16 of 19 games this season, and has only failed to reach safely in one contest this year. His 14 walks and 15 runs scored are good for second on the team, while his .407 on base percentage is fourth best on the squad.
LUKE'S CANON: Luke Weber has turned into a nightmare to run against behind the plate, throwing out six of 12 base stealers this season. On March 1 against Dayton, Weber had it all working and Flyers weren't flying very far, getting gunned down in all three base stealing attempts on the day as Upstate rallied for a 4-3 victory.
SETTING THE TABLE: Jordan Stampler has been the ultimate leadoff hitter this season, coaxing 15 walks and being hit by six pitches, both categories that lead the team. He has reached safely in 17 of the 19 games, including hits in four of the last five games. His .452 on base percentage is second on the team.
BLOSSOMING ROSEBOOM: David Roseboom is one of four pitchers in the league with a perfect 4-0 record after picking up a victory over ETSU Saturday. The junior has only surrendering two extra base hits this season, which is tied for the best mark in the league among pitchers with more than 25 innings of action. He has worked out of plenty of jams along the way, issuing 15 walks and hitting 10 batters, which is tied for the most in the conference among the top 40 ERA's in the A-Sun.
SACRIFICIAL LAMB: Prior to Wednesday's game, Gaither Bumgardner ranked eighth in the country in sacrifice bunts and he added to his total Wednesday against UNC Asheville in the top of the first with a perfect sacrifice bunt, leading to Upstate's first run of the game.