Mar 18, 2017
Spartanburg, S.C. – The Quinnipiac Bobcats had three multi-run innings as they defeated USC Upstate 11-3 at Harley Park on Saturday afternoon.
Quinnipiac improves to 7-9 while Upstate drops to 10-11.
- Bottom 1st – Brett Hawkins reached on a one-out walk, advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored as a result of a Quinnipiac error.
- Top 2nd – Quinnipiac scored one run on a Spartan error and another on a Julius Saporito single.
- Top 5th – Saporito led off the inning with a double and scored on a Mike Palladino double.
- Top 6th – Quinnipiac plated three runs in the inning thanks to a Liam Scafariello solo home run and a Ryan Nelson two-run home run.
- Top 7th – Joseph Burns hit a solo home run to give Quinnipiac a 7-1 lead.
- Bottom 7th – Jake Bourke opened the inning with a walk and scored on a Hunter Gilbert single. Upstate added another run on a fielder's choice.
- Top 9th – Burns hit a three-run home run followed by a Brian Moskey solo home run.
- Gilbert went 2-for-4 with a single and double to lead the Spartans.
- Charlie Carpenter, Brendan Brundage, Drake Harris and Zach Krider each had a hit.
- Burns went 2-for-5 with four RBI to lead the Bobcats.
- Taylor Luciani (1-2) picked up the win as he allowed an unearned run on four this with a walk and five strikeouts in 5.1 innings.
- Kevin Hickey (2-3) took the loss after he allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits with a walk and six strikeouts in 5.0 innings.
- Each team committed three errors in the game.
- Upstate and Quinnipiac wrap up the three-game series tomorrow at 1 p.m.