Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team scored nine runs off of eight hits in the first inning as the Spartans defeated Lipscomb 16-7 on Sunday afternoon at Harley Park.
Upstate improves to 14-17 overall and 1-2 in the ASUN Conference while Lipscomb drops to 16-11 and 2-1.
- Top 1st – Michael Gigliotti led off the game with a double and scored on a Zeke Dodson single.
- Bottom 1st – Upstate sent 13 batters to the plate in the inning. Devon Ortiz got Upstate on the board with a three-run triple before scoring on a Drake Harris single. Upstate added a run as a result of an error before Russell Schwertfeger drove in two runs with a single. Charlie Carpenter plated two runs with a double.
- Bottom 2nd – Ortiz opened the inning with a single and scored on a groundout.
- Bottom 4th – Upstate added four runs in the inning. Jake Bourke drove in a run with a double, followed by a Schwertfeger groundout that scored a run. Carpenter hit his sixth home run of the season, a two-run blast, for a 14-1 lead.
- Bottom 5th – Bourke's infield single scored Ortiz for a 15-1 advantage.
- Top 6th – The Bisons scored one run on a wild pitch before Hunter Hanks hit a grand slam, making the score 15-6.
- Bottom 6th – Upstate added a run as a result of a Lipscomb error.
- Top 8th – Lipscomb took advantage of two Upstate errors to score a run.
- Every Upstate batter had at least one hit.
- Carpenter went 5-for-6 with two singles, two doubles, a home run, two runs scored and four RBI.
- Ortiz finished 2-for-5 with a single, triple, three runs scored and four RBI.
- Harris and Jordan Miller each had multi-hit games.
- Gigliotti, Zeke Dodson and Tyler Bethune each had two hits for the Bisons.
- Blake Whitney (4-2) earned the win, allowing six runs on six hits with four walks and four strikeouts in 5.1 innings.
- Conner Campbell (1) recorded the save, allowing one unearned run on three hits with two walks and seven strikeouts in 3.2 innings of relief.
- Dayton Tripp (2-2) took the loss, allowing seven runs (five earned) on six hits with a walk in 0.1 inning.
- Upstate opens a nine-game road trip on Wednesday at Gardner-Webb. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.