Fort Myers, Fla. – Spencer Levine's go-ahead two-run home run in the eighth inning gave the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles a 7-6 win over USC Upstate at Swanson Stadium on Thursday evening.
Florida Gulf Coast improves to 27-9 overall and 3-4 in the ASUN while Upstate drops to 15-21 and 1-6.
- Bottom 2nd – Florida Gulf Coast got on the board thanks to a two-run double by Alex Brait.
- Top 5th – The Spartans got on the board on a Devon Ortiz groundout before a passed ball tied the game at 2.
- Bottom 5th – The Eagles reclaimed the lead on a groundout.
- Bottom 6th – Richie Garcia drove in a run with a single before scoring on a wild pitch to give the hosts a 5-2 lead.
- Top 7th – Upstate pulled within a run thanks to singles by Ortiz and Brett Hawkins.
- Top 8th – The Spartans evened the score on a Russell Schwertfeger single that scored J.J. Shimko. Pat Raiff gave the Spartans a 6-5 lead as his base hit plated Schwertfeger.
- Bottom 8th – Julio Gonzalez reached on a single and scored on Levine's home run with two outs.
- Hawkins, Schwertfeger, Charlie Carpenter and Jake Bourke each had two hits to lead the Spartans.
- Schwertfeger scored a game-high three runs.
- Four Eagles finished with two hits each.
- Sterling Koerner (2-2) earned the win, allowing three runs (one earned) on six hits with two strikeouts in 2.0 innings.
- Kenton Herring (3) recorded the save with a scoreless ninth.
- Conner Campbell (1-3) took the loss, allowing two runs on three hits with two strikeouts in 2.2 innings.
- The teams continue their series tomorrow at 6:30 p.m.