Fort Myers, Fla. – USC Upstate junior Kevin Hickey allowed one unearned run in a career-high 7.2 innings as the Spartans defeated No. 29 Florida Gulf Coast 3-1 at Swanson Stadium on Friday night.
Upstate improves to 16-21 overall and 2-6 in the ASUN Conference while Florida Gulf Coast drops to 27-10 and 3-5.
- Top 1st – Devon Ortiz led off the game with an infield single and advanced to third on a Hunter Gilbert base hit. Ortiz scored as a result of an Eagle error.
- Top 5th – Jake Bourke led off the inning with a single and advanced to second base on a sacrifice bunt. After reaching third on a groundout, Bourke scored on a Charlie Carpenter base hit.
- Bottom 7th – An Upstate error with two outs allowed Florida Gulf Coast to score a run.
- Top 9th – Russell Schwertfeger led off the inning with his first home run of the season.
- Hickey's 7.2 innings is the longest outing by an Upstate starting pitcher this season.
- Hickey (3-4) scattered five hits with one unearned run along with two walks and eight strikeouts in 7.2 innings.
- Trey Van Der Weide (1) pitched the final 1.1 innings for the save.
- Josh Dye (6-2) took the loss as he allowed two runs (one earned) on six hits with two walks and six strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
- Florida Gulf Coast was held to five hits, all of them singles.
- Tonight's win is the first for Upstate over a ranked opponent since an 8-6 win over No. 25 Kentucky at Harley Park on Feb. 17, 2014.
- Bourke and Jordan Miller each had two hits to lead the Spartans.
- Schwertfeger, Ortiz, Gilbert and Carpenter each had a hit.
- Julio Garcia led the Eagles with two hits.
- Upstate and Florida Gulf Coast wrap up the series tomorrow at Noon.