Fort Myers, Fla. – The No. 29 Florida Gulf Coast Eagles claimed an ASUN Conference series over USC Upstate thanks to an 11-6 win at Swanson Stadium on Saturday.
Florida Gulf Coast improves to 28-10 overall and 4-5 in the conference while Upstate drops to 16-22 and 2-5.
- Bottom 3rd – Nick Rivera's three-run home run gave the hosts a 3-0 lead.
- Top 4th – Russell Schwertfeger hit a two-run home run to bring the Spartans to within one run.
- Bottom 4th – Alex Brait's base hit scored Eli Lovell.
- Bottom 6th – Matt Reardon brought home two runs with a double before scoring on a Julio Gonzalez single.
- Top 7th – Jordan Miller led off the inning with a single and scored on a groundout. Pat Raiff scored on a FGCU error while Devon Ortiz crossed home plate on a J.J. Shimko single.
- Top 8th – Schwertfeger scored on an error.
- Bottom 8th – Florida Gulf Coast scored four runs on a sacrifice fly, fielder's choice, an Upstate error and a wild pitch.
- Miller, Schwertfeger, Ortiz and Charlie Carpenter each had two hits for the Spartans.
- Corey Fehribach went 3-for-3 with two doubles and a single to lead Florida Gulf Coast.
- Upstate outhit Florida Gulf Coast 12-8.
- Garrett Anderson (3-1) earned the win, allowing two runs on five hits with six strikeouts in 5.2 innings.
- Kenton Herring (4) recorded the save after allowing one unearned run on three hits with three strikeouts in 2.1 innings.
- Blake Whitney (4-4) took the loss, allowing four runs on five hits with three walks and four strikeouts in 3.2 innings.
- Upstate travels to UNC Asheville on Tuesday for a 6 p.m. contest.