Spartanburg, S.C. – A quartet of USC Upstate pitchers limited Charleston Southern to one run on four hits in a 5-1 victory at Harley Park on Wednesday night.
Upstate improves to 17-23 while Charleston Southern drops to 17-20.
- Top 1st – Aaron Miller reached on a one-out double and scored on a Brandon Gragilla base hit to give the Buccaneers a 1-0 lead.
- Bottom 1st – Charlie Carpenter hit a two-run home run, his seventh of the season, to give the Spartans a 2-1 lead.
- Bottom 4th – Hunter Gilbert led off the inning with a triple and scored on a Pat Raiff single.
- Bottom 5th – Devon Ortiz opened the inning with a double and advanced to third on a Brett Hawkins single. Ortiz scored on a wild pitch while Hawkins scored on a J.J. Shimko single.
- Upstate claimed the season series with Charleston Southern thanks to tonight's win as well as a 10-4 victory in Lexington, S.C. on March 28. Charleston Southern defeated Upstate 4-3 on March 1 in Charleston.
- The Spartans retired 10 consecutive Charleston Southern batters, spanning a flyout to end the third inning to a hit batter to lead off the seventh inning.
- The four hits allowed by USC Upstate tied a season-low.
- Making his second start of the season, Jake Bourke allowed one run on three hits with two walks and five strikeouts in 4.0 innings.
- Blake Whitney (5-4) earned the win with a scoreless and hitless inning.
- Conner Campbell and Trey Van Der Weide each pitched two scoreless innings.
- Kevin Dyson (1-2) took the loss, allowing three runs on six hits with a strikeout in 4.0 innings.
- Gilbert went 3-for-4 with two singles and a triple to lead the Upstate offense.
- Raiff and Hawkins each had two singles while Ortiz, Carpenter, Shimko and Nick Bryson each had one hit.
- Gragilla led Charleston Southern with two hits.
- Upstate opens an ASUN series on Friday against Stetson. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.