Spartanburg, S.C. – J.J. Shimko collected a game-high three hits in three at-bats, including a two-run home run, as the USC Upstate Spartans defeated Stetson 5-2 at Harley Park on Friday night.
Upstate improves to 18-23 overall and 3-7 in ASUN Conference play while Stetson drops to 16-24 and 6-4.
- Bottom 1st – Brett Hawkins reached on a one-out single and scored on Shimko's second home run of the season for a 2-0 Spartan lead.
- Top 4th – Jack Gonzales led off the inning with a double and scored on an Austin Hale double.
- Bottom 4th – Shimko opened the inning with a double and reached third as a result of a Stetson error. After a strikeout, Russell Schwertfeger brought home Shimko with a single.
- Bottom 6th – Charlie Carpenter led off the inning with a double and advanced to third on a Shimko single before scoring on a fielder's choice. Upstate plated a run on a Pat Raiff single but would leave the bases loaded.
- Top 7th – Stetson had runners at first and second as consecutive singles opened the inning. A sacrifice bunt advanced the runners into scoring position before a groundout scored a run.
- Shimko finished with his third three-hit game of the season and was a triple shy of the cycle.
- Carpenter went 2-for-4 with a single and double.
- Hawkins, Schwertfeger and Raiff each had a hit.
- Conner Campbell (2-3) earned the win, allowing one run on two hits with two walks in 1.1 innings of relief.
- Eric Birklund (1) picked up the save, striking out four batters in 2.0 innings.
- Jordan Miller allowed one run on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts in 4.2 innings.
- Brooks Wilson (2-4) took the loss after he allowed five runs (three earned) on seven hits with two walks and six strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
- The teams will play two nine-inning games in a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. tomorrow.