Spartanburg, S.C. – Hunter Gilbert's single with two outs in the ninth inning gave Conner Campbell a complete game victory as USC Upstate knocked off North Florida 2-1 in ASUN Conference action at Harley Park on Friday night.
Upstate improves to 20-25 overall and 4-9 in league play while North Florida drops to 31-16 and 10-3.
- Bottom 1st – Pat Raiff reached on an infield single and advanced to second on a throwing error. Raiff advanced to third on a groundout and scored on a Brendan Brundage base hit.
- Top 2nd – Dalton Board hit a solo home run with two outs to tie the game at 1.
- Bottom 9th – J.J. Shimko led off the inning with a single before stealing second base. Following a strikeout, Shimko advanced to third on a groundout. Gilbert faced an 0-2 count before hitting the game-winning single to right field.
- Campbell (3-3) earned his third win of the season as he allowed one run on four hits with two walks and five strikeouts.
- Campbell's complete game is the first for Upstate since Blake Whitney went nine innings in a 3-0 loss to Lipscomb on April 18, 2015.
- The nine innings pitched and 117 pitches thrown are both career-highs for Campbell.
- Campbell retired 10 consecutive batters after the Ospreys leadoff batter reached in the fourth inning due to an error.
- Gilbert, Shimko, Raiff, Brundage and Drake Harris each had a single for Upstate.
- Board went 1-for-3 with a home run to lead the Osprey offense. Alex Merritt, Chris Berry and Mac Wilson each had a single.
- Matthew Naylor (2-3) took the loss, allowing one run on two hits with a walk and a strikeout in 1.1 innings.
- North Florida starter Austin Drury allowed an unearned run on three hits with a walk and four strikeouts in 7.1 innings.
- The series continues on Saturday with a 1 p.m. first pitch.