Spartanburg, S.C. – The North Florida Ospreys scored three runs in the first inning en route to a 7-2 win over USC Upstate in ASUN action on Saturday afternoon at Harley Park.
North Florida improves to 32-16 overall and 11-3 in league play while Upstate drops to 20-16 and 4-10.
- Top 1st – Chris Thibideau reached on a single with one out before consecutive walks loaded the bases. Thibideau scored on a sacrifice fly followed by a Wesley Weeks two-run single to give the Ospreys a 3-0 lead.
- Top 2nd – Yahir Gurrola hit a solo home run for a 4-0 North Florida lead.
- Top 4th – Dalton Board led off the inning with a single, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on a Gurrola double.
- Bottom 6th – Pat Raiff reached on a leadoff single and scored on a J.J. Shimko double. Shimko reached third base on a groundout and scored on a Russell Schwertfeger groundout.
- Top 8th – Weeks was hit by a pitch to open the inning, stole second base and advanced to third base on a Board single. Weeks scored on a fielder's choice. Gurrola's second double of the game plated Rey Gonzalez for the final run of the game.
- Gurrola went 3-for-5 with two doubles, a run scored and three RBI.
- Board and Christian Diaz each had two hits for North Florida.
- Jake Bourke went 3-for-4 with three singles to lead the Spartans.
- Raiff went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Frank German (8-0) earned the win as he allowed two runs on six hits with a walk and seven strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
- Kevin Hickey (3-6) took the loss after he surrendered five runs on five hits with three walks in 3.1 innings.
- Upstate and North Florida will play the rubber match of their ASUN series tomorrow at 1 p.m.