Jacksonville, Fla. – The Jacksonville Dolphins scored five runs in the first three innings as they defeated USC Upstate 8-1 in ASUN Conference action on Friday night at Sessions Stadium.
Jacksonville improves to 28-21 overall and 12-4 in conference play while Upstate drops to 22-27 and 5-11.
- Bottom 2nd - Mike Cassala and Evan Fernandez opened the inning with singles before advancing into scoring position on a sacrifice bunt. Cassala and Fernandez scored on a Ruben Someillan two-run single.
- Bottom 3rd – Sam Armstrong hit a three-run home run for a 5-0 Jacksonville advantage.
- Bottom 6th – Someillan led off the inning with a walk and scored on a Scott Dubrule single.
- Top 7th – Brett Hawkins reached on a leadoff single, advanced to second on a passed ball and scored on a Devon Ortiz single.
- Bottom 8th – Jacksonville added two runs on a pair of sacrifice flies.
- Hawkins led the Spartans with two singles and a run scored.
- Ortiz went 1-for-4 with a single and RBI.
- Fernandez went 3-for-4 with three singles and a run scored to lead the Dolphins.
- Michael Baumann (4-3) earned the win as he allowed an unearned run on six hits with three walks and 10 strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
- Conner Campbell (3-4) took the loss after he surrendered five runs on six hits with a walk and a strikeout in 2.1 innings of work.
- Both teams left seven runners on base.
- Upstate and Jacksonville continue their series tomorrow at 7 p.m.