Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team opened the 2018 season on a winning note as the Spartans withstood a late Dayton comeback to claim a 10-8 victory over the Flyers on Friday at Harley Park.
USC Upstate improves to 1-0 while Dayton drops to 0-1.
- Top 1st – Pat Meehan hit the third pitch of the game over the fence in center field to give the Flyers a 1-0 lead.
- Bottom 1st – A pair of walks and a Charlie Carpenter single loaded the bases. Pat Raiff singled to score Andres Kim followed by a J.J. Shimko sacrifice fly. Carpenter scored on a Jake Bourke double, with Bourke scoring on a Drake Harris base hit.
- Bottom 2nd – Carpenter drove home a pair of runs with a single followed by Shimko's second sacrifice fly of the game.
- Bottom 3rd – A Kim single scored Bourke to give the Spartans an 8-1 lead.
- Top 5th – Bailey Montoya reached on an error and scored on an infield single. Will Wheeler entered the game with the bases loaded and no outs before working his way out of the jam with a foulout, flyout and fielder's choice.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans plated runs on a bases-loaded walk and a Carpenter sacrifice fly.
- Top 7th – Brandon Smith reached on a one-out single and scored on a groundout.
- Top 8th – Dayton scored three unearned runs to pull within four, 10-6.
- Top 9th – The Flyers scored a run on a Conner Wilson pinch-hit single and a hit by pitch with the bases loaded. Sean Hupp struck out Smith and got Tate Hagan to fly out to left field to end the game.
- The Spartans earned their sixth opening day win in the past seventh seasons.
- Carpenter went 2-for-3 with two singles, two sacrifice flies and four RBI to lead the Spartans.
- Kyle Gensler went 2-for-4 with two singles in his collegiate debut.
- Austin Morgan went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Kim, Raiff, Bourke and Harris each had one hit.
- Meehan led the Dayton offense as he went 4-for-6 with three singles, a home run and two RBI.
- Wheeler (1-0) earned the win with 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Hupp (1) earned his second career save with 0.2 scoreless innings.
- Blake Whitney allowed one earned run on six hits with five strikeouts in 4.0 innings.
- Austin Cline (0-1) took the loss after he allowed three runs on one hit with two walks in the first inning. Cline did not retire a batter.
- USC Upstate hosts No. 8 Kentucky in a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).