Game Two Box Score (.pdf)
Spartanburg, S.C. – No. 8 Kentucky swept USC Upstate in a non-conference doubleheader on Saturday at Harley Park, topping the Spartans 6-5 in 10 innings in the opener and claiming a 10-3 win in the nightcap.
Kentucky improves to 3-0 while USC Upstate falls to 1-2.
Game One – No. 8 Kentucky 6, USC Upstate 5 (10 innings)
- Bottom 3rd - Austin Morgan reached on a leadoff walk and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Following two walks that loaded the bases and a strikeout, Jake Bourke singled to right field and drove in two runs for a 2-0 USC Upstate lead. The Spartans added one run on a bases-loaded walk with two more runs scoring on a Russell Schwertfeger two-run single for a 5-0 lead.
- Top 6th – Kentucky got on the board as a result of a USC Upstate error. The Wildcats added another run in the inning on a groundout.
- Top 7th – Ben Aklinski led off the inning with a home run down the left field line.
- Top 8th – Tristan Pompey led off the inning with a single and scored on a T.J. Collett base hit. The Wildcats tied the game on a Kole Cottam groundout.
- Top 10th – Luke Becker led off the inning with a double, advanced to third on a groundout and scored on a Cottam single with two outs for the go-ahead run.
- Bourke, Schwertfeger and Kyle Gensler each had two hits.
- Bourke and Schwertfeger each drove in two runs.
- J.J. Shimko went 1-for-4 with a double.
- Aklinski went 2-for-4 with a single, home run, two runs scored and an RBI to lead Kentucky.
- Chris Machamer (1-0) earned the win, allowing one hit in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Jacob Thiessen (0-1) took the loss, allowing one run on four hits with a strikeout in 2.0 innings.
- Kevin Hickey scattered three hits with three walks and five strikeouts in 5.0 innings.
Game Two – No. 8 Kentucky 10, USC Upstate 3
- Top 2nd – After a USC Upstate error with two outs extended the inning, the Wildcats plated two runs on consecutive doubles by Ryan Shinn and Trey Dawson.
- Top 4th – The Wildcats added a run on a Tristan Pompey groundout.
- Top 6th – Kentucky added a run on a bases-loaded walk before scoring two runs on a Kole Cottam single. Luke Heyer drove in the fourth run of the inning with a single.
- Top 8th – The Wildcats scored all three runs this inning via the home run. Luke Becker led off the inning with a home run followed by a T.J. Collett two-run home run.
- Bottom 8th – Jeff Taylor opened the inning with his first collegiate hit and would score on an Andres Kim single. The Spartans added one run on a bases loaded walk and a groundout.
- Gensler went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Kim, Taylor and Jake Bourke each had one hit.
- Justin Lewis (1-0) earned the win as he struck out nine batters in 6.0 innings while allowing two hits.
- Trey Van Der Weide (0-1) took the loss, allowing three runs, one earned, on five hits with three walks and a strikeout in 5.0 innings.
- USC Upstate wraps up opening weekend against Fordham on Sunday at 3 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).