Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team dropped a pair of games on Saturday, falling 3-1 to Pittsburgh in the morning followed by a 7-1 setback to Xavier in the nightcap.
USC Upstate is now 3-4-1 on the season.
Pittsburgh 3, USC Upstate 1
- Bottom 2nd – Will Hardigree reached on a single with one out and advanced to second on a Kyle Gensler single. Hardigree would score on Toran Shahidi's double, but Gensler was thrown out at home to end the inning.
- Top 5th – Liam Sabino tied the game at 1 on a home run with one out.
- Top 9th – Sabino hit a two-run home run with two outs in the inning to give the Panthers a 3-1 lead.
- Shahidi went 2-for-4 with a single, double and RBI.
- Hardigree finished 2-for-4 with two singles and a run scored.
- Andres Kim went 3-for-5 with two singles and a double.
- Gensler and Charlie Carpenter each had one hit.
- Sabino went 3-for-5 with a single, two home runs and three RBI to lead the Pitt offense.
- Yaya Chentouf (1-0) earned the win as he scattered two hits with two strikeouts in 2.1 innings.
- Trey Van Der Weide (0-2) took the loss after allowing two runs on four hits with a walk in 3.1 innings of relief.
Xavier 7, USC Upstate 1
- Top 1st – The Musketeers plated a run on a Joe Gellenbeck single and two runs on a double by Ryan Altenberger.
- Bottom 2nd – USC Upstate got on the board as Kyle Gensler scored on a passed ball.
- Top 4th - Xavier scored one run on a Will LaRue single and another on a Gellenbeck base hit.
- Top 5th – Nate Monastra drove in a run on a double down the left field line.
- Top 7th – Altenberger led off the inning with a single and scored on a Matt Warkentin single.
- Gellenbeck went 5-for-5 with three singles, a double and a triple along with a run scored and two RBI.
- Monastra went 3-for-5 with a single and two doubles.
- Altenberger finished 3-for-5 with two singles, a double and RBI.
- Charlie Carpenter led the USC Upstate offense as he went 1-for-3 with a double.
- Gensler, Toran Shahidi, Mason Stewart and Jeff Taylor each had a hit.
- Evan Miller (1-0) earned the win as he allowed one hit and a walk with two strikeouts in 2.1 innings.
- Jordan Marks (0-1) took the loss after he allowed five runs in 3.2 innings.
- USC Upstate travels to Presbyterian College on Tuesday at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).