Spartanburg, S. C. – Sammy Miller's two-run single in the seventh inning broke a 1-1 tie as Longwood avoided a sweep with a 3-1 win over USC Upstate at Harley Park on Sunday afternoon.
Longwood improves to 3-9 while USC Upstate falls to 5-6-1.
- Bottom 2nd – Kyle Gensler led off the inning with a walk before advancing to second base on a passed ball. Gensler scored as a result of a throwing error on a Russell Schwertfeger bunt to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead.
- Top 4th – Ryan Shull opened the inning with a single, advanced to second on a groundout and scored on a Joey Mendez single to tie the game.
- Top 7th – Jawan McAllister reached on a one out single, stole second base and advanced to third on a groundout. Following a walk to Jack Schnell and a stolen base by pinch-runner Scott Carter, Miller hit a two-run single up the middle to give the Lancers a 3-1 lead.
- Miller went 1-for-4 with a single and two RBI to lead Longwood.
- Shull, Mendez, McAllister, Justin Mitchell and Antwaun Tucker each went 1-for-4 with a single.
- Gensler, Andres Kim, Pat Raiff and Austin Morgan each had a single for USC Upstate.
- Eric Harp (1-0) earned the win as he struck out nine batters in 3.2 hitless innings of relief.
- Jordan Marks (0-2) took the loss after allowing three runs on five hits with a walk and four strikeouts in 6.2 innings.
- The Spartans were held to a season-low four hits.
- USC Upstate travels to Charleston Southern on Wednesday for a 6 p.m. contest.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).