Charleston, S.C. – Will Hardigree recorded a career-high four hits, including a single that plated the go-ahead run in the seventh inning, as USC Upstate scored five runs in the final three innings to defeat Charleston Southern 7-3 at CSU Ballpark on Wednesday night.
USC Upstate improves to 6-6-1 while Charleston Southern drops to 6-8.
- Top 1st – Andres Kim opened the game with a single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Kim advanced to third on a Charlie Carpenter single and scored on a Kyle Gensler base hit. Carpenter would score on a single by Hardigree.
- Bottom 2nd – Ryan Rizk reached on a one out base hit and scored on Josh Litchfield's single with two outs.
- Bottom 3rd – Charleston Southern tied the game at 2 thanks to a Justin Dahill single.
- Bottom 4th – Mike Sconzo's two-out single gave the hosts a 3-2 lead.
- Top 7th – Mason Stewart led off the inning with a single before advancing to second on a one-out walk to Gensler. Stewart tied the game at 3 on a Toran Shahidi single. Gensler scored the go-ahead run on a Hardigree base hit, with Shahidi crossing home plate on a sacrifice fly.
- Top 8th – A Gensler two-out single scored Kim for a 6-3 USC Upstate lead.
- Top 9th – Hardigree got the inning started with a base hit and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Drake Harris' single moved Hardigree to third with Hardigree scoring on a groundout.
- Hardigree went 4-for-5 with four singles, two RBI and a run scored.
- Gensler went 2-for-4 with two singles, two RBI and a run scored.
- Kim, Stewart, Carpenter, Shahidi and Harris each recorded one hit.
- All 11 of USC Upstate's hits were singles.
- Sconzo and Dahill each had three hits to lead Charleston Southern.
- Grant Hoppock (2-1) earned the win as he allowed one hit with a walk and a strikeout in 1.1 innings of work.
- Trey Van Der Weide (1) recorded the save as he struck out four batters in 2.2 innings.
- Daniel Johnson (0-1) was charged with the loss as he allowed three runs on three hits with one walk in 1.0 innings.
- Charleston Southern outhit USC Upstate 14-11.
- Both teams left 12 runners on base.
- USC Upstate opens a weekend series with Penn on Friday at 4 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).