DeLand, Fla. – The No. 17 Stetson Hatters jumped out to an early lead and never looked back as they defeated USC Upstate 14-5 in the opener of an ASUN Conference series on Thursday evening at Melching Field.
Stetson improves to 41-11 overall and 15-3 in league play while USC Upstate drops to 23-28-1 and 5-16.
- Bottom 1st – Mike Spooner hit a solo home run with one out to get the Hatters on the board.
- Bottom 2nd – Eric Foggo hit a solo home run with two outs.
- Top 3rd – Mason Stewart reached on a one-out single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Stewart advanced to third on a Pat Raiff infield single before scoring on an error.
- Bottom 3rd – Stetson loaded the bases thanks to a single, hit batter and a walk. Jacob Koos drove in one run with a single. The Hatters added a run as a result of an error before Jorge Arenas drove in two runs with a single. Arenas would later score on a Foggo base hit as the Hatters plated five runs in the inning.
- Bottom 4th – The Hatters scored runs on a Brooks Wilson double, a fielder's choice and a Foggo double.
- Top 5th – Andres Kim led off the inning with a single and reached third on a one-out double by Stewart. Kim scored on a Raiff single before a Toran Shahidi base hit brought home Stewart.
- Bottom 5th – Stetson scored a run on a fielder's choice.
- Top 6th – Jake Bourke opened the inning with a walk, reached second on a groundout and advanced to third on a Will Hardigree single. Bourke scored on a passed ball with Hardigree coming home on an error.
- Bottom 6th – Jon Meola led off with a triple and scored on an Austin Hale single. Hale scored on a Kyle Ball triple.
- Bottom 7th – Koos singled with one out and scored on a Wilson double.
- Raiff went 3-for-4 with three singles and an RBI.
- Stewart went 2-for-4 with a single, double and two runs scored.
- Kim, Shahidi, Hardigree Kyle Gensler and Zach Lea each had a single.
- Foggo and Spooner each went 3-for-4 to lead the Hatters.
- The Hatters committed three errors while USC Upstate committed one error.
- Jack Perkins (10-2) earned the win, allowing five runs, two earned, on eight hits with one walk and seven strikeouts in 5.2 innings.
- Blake Whitney (5-3) was charged with the loss as he surrendered seven runs on seven hits with a walk and a strikeout in 2.2 innings.
- USC Upstate and Stetson continue their series on Friday at 6:30 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).