Spartans Set for Another Trip Down I-26
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – USC Upstate will compete in its sixth game in 11 days when it travels to Columbia, S.C., to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks on Tuesday night. Tip-off is slated for 7:00 p.m. inside the Colonial Life Arena.
The game will be streamed live on FoxSportsCarolina.com, with the game airing on Fox Sports Carolina on a tape delay following the conclusion of the UNC Asheville at North Carolina game (7:00 p.m.)
About the Game…
• Tuesday's meeting marks just the second time the two schools have met, with the Gamecocks claiming a 75-53 victory in Columbia on Nov. 22, 2008.
• Upstate played three games in four days in the 2010 Charleston Classic. Upstate fell to Wofford on Thursday (L, 61-79), Coastal Carolina on Friday (L, 50-71) and East Carolina (L, 67-75).
• Upstate will finally play in the friendly confines of the newly renovated Hodge Center on Monday night when they host UNC Asheville at 7:00 p.m.
• Tuesday night's game marks the sixth game in 11 days for the Spartans.
• Torrey Craig averaged 16.3 ppg and 6.3 rpg in three games at the 2010 Charleston Classic.
• Babatunde Olumuyiwa rejected a career-best four shots in Sunday's game against the Pirates.
• Torrey Craig has lead the team in scoring 3 times in 5 games this season and has has 3 straight double-digit point games.
Gimme the Rock
Upstate guard Tony Dukes has scored the first basket of the game for the Spartans in each of the first five games of 2010-11. In the first four games, Dukes hit three-pointers, but the sophomore switched it up against East Carolina as he hit a jumper from just outside the paint.
Craig Shines in Charleston
True freshman Torrey Craig had an outstanding tournament for the Spartans at the 2010 Charlestion Classic (Nov. 18-19, 21). In three outings the forward from Rock Hill, S.C., averaged 13.6 ppg and 6.3 rpg. He posted career-highs of 13 points and seven rebounds against Wofford on Thursday. Against Coastal Carolina, Craig connected on six shots (five treys) en route to 17 points against the Chanticleers. He posted career-highs of 19 points and eight rebounds against East Carolina on the final day of the Charleston Classic.
Babatunde's Block Party
In Sunday's game against East Carolina, Upstate forward Babatunde Olumuyiwa recorded four Pirate shots as he helped get the Spartans in the game. On the season, Olumuyiwa has nine blocked shots.