Spartans, Dolphins Set for Monday Night Battle
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – After a 69-62 victory over North Florida Saturday night, the USC Upstate men's basketball team (10-8, 4-2 Atlantic Sun) looks to pick up its second conference road sweep of the season it squares off against the Jacksonville Dolphins (2-15, 0-6) Monday night inside Swisher Gymnasium.
For those fans that cannot attend Monday's contest there are several ways you can follow the action from the opening tip to the final horn. Fans can follow the action by clicking the live stats and live video links above.
Join the Conversation on Twitter: @UpstateSpartans
• Upstate's victory over North Florida (1/14/12) gave the Spartans 10 wins on the season; it is the first time in the Division I era that the Spartans reached the double-digit win plateau [2007-08 (7); 2008-09 (9); 2009-10 (6); 2010-11 (5)].
• Upstate head coach Eddie Payne is just 10 wins shy of 400 for his career.
• The Spartans connected on 5-of-7 free throw attempts in the final 6:50 of the game; After UNF trimmed lead to two (62-60), Upstate closed the game on a 7-2 run over final 1:48 of the contest.
• At UNF (1/14/12), Babatunde Olumuyiwa scored a career-high 14 points including six of the final seven points for the Spartans. Olumuyiwa finished 5-for-7 from the floor and a perfect 4-for-4 from the line (entered UNF game shooting 41.4% at the charity stripe).
• Chalmers Rogers tied a career-high with three made three-pointers at UNF (1/14/12). Rogers also hit three triples against Lipscomb (2/17/10).
• Jodd Maxey pitched in 12 points at UNF (1/14/12) despite battling foul trouble. Maxey finished 5-for-6 from the field and hit two of his four free throw attempts en route to his fourth straight game of 10+ points.
• Torrey Craig recorded his fourth double-double of the season with a 17-point, 12-rebound performance against the Ospreys (1/14/12).
• Upstate's five-game home winning streak was snapped with a 73-66 setback against Mercer (1/9/12).
• Torrey Craig was named the A-Sun Player of the Week (1/10/12) after averaging 24.7 points and 8.3 rebounds over a span of three games. Craig posted a new career-high with 29 points at ETSU (1/4/12), followed by totals of 28 points (Kennesaw State) and 17 points (Mercer).
• Ricardo Glenn finished 7-for-10 from the floor against Mercer (1/9/12) as the RS-Sophomore finished with 16 points and tied a game-high with seven rebounds.
• Jodd Maxey reached the double-figure scoring column with 11 points vs. Mercer (1/9/12). The RS-Sophomore also grabbed six rebounds and recorded two steals.
• With the victory over Kennesaw State (W, 68-53, 1/7/12) at the Hodge Center, Upstate has now won 10 consecutive home conference openers.
• Torrey Craig tallied 28 points and 10 rebounds for his third double-double of the season and eighth of his career as Upstate downed Kennesaw State (1/7/12). His 10 field goals were the most for Upstate in more than a year; Craig connected on 11 field goal attempts last season at Kennesaw State (1/3/11). The sophomore also sank five triples for the second consecutive contest.
• Against Kennesaw State (1/7/12), Ty Greene set a new career-best with seven assists.
Today's Opponent - Jacksonville
After a 2-2 start to open the 2011-12 season, Jacksonville has dropped its last 13 contest, including all six A-Sun contests. The last win for the Dolphins was on the road at Bethune-Cookman (W, 65-55, 11/21/11).
Monday night's contest will be just the sixth home contest of the season for JU and the squad owns a 1-4 mark at home this season. The only home victory of the campaign came on Nov. 18 against Samford (W, 70-57).
In JU's last outing, it dropped a 72-58 decision to ETSU Saturday night. Three Dolphins reached double-digits in scoring (Aloys Cabell, 10; Evin Graham, 10; Keith McDougald, 10). JU starters shot 31.3% (10-32) from the floor against the Bucs.
McDougald and Glenn Powell lead the squad in scoring with 11.5 points and 10.8 points per game, respectively. Powell is the team's leader in rebounding at 6.7 rpg.