Spartans Look to Complete Perfect Road Trip at Lipscomb
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: David Beall, firstname.lastname@example.org
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The USC Upstate men's basketball team ends a two-game conference road trip Monday evening, taking on Lipscomb University at Allen Arena in Atlantic Sun Conference action.
The matchup between the Spartans (7-7, 1-0 A-Sun) and Bison (6-8, 1-2 A-Sun) is the 11th all-time meeting between the two programs with Lipscomb holding a 6-4 edge in the series. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m. EST.
Fans can follow the contest through a live video broadcast on A-Sun.TV by clicking here and live in-game statistics by clicking here. ESPN Spartanburg 97.1 FM and 1400 AM will broadcast the game that can also be heard online by clicking here. Fans can follow on twitter @UPSTMBB and can join the conversation with the hashtag #UpstateHoops.
- The Spartans swept the season series with Lipscomb a year ago, including a buzzer-beating three-pointer by Ty Greene that shocked the Bison 62-61 and landed Upstate on ESPN SportsCenter's "Top Plays" for the night.
- After a comeback win Saturday at Northern Kentucky, the Spartans have won four straight A-Sun openers and are looking to go 2-0 in league play for the second straight season. Upstate is currently the only unbeaten team in conference play.
- Fred Miller matched his career-high for points Saturday at Northern Kentucky as he single handedly carried Upstate down the stretch with three straight buckets to put the Spartans in front for good. His 11 points and five rebounds were both career marks.
- Ricardo Glenn's 10 points and 10 rebounds at Northern Kentucky gave the Upstate big man his fourth double-double in the last five games and his fifth straight double-digit rebound game. In his postgame comments, Coach Payne referred to Ricardo as "one of the premier post players in the league."
- The Spartans have outrebounded their opponents in five straight games, holding a 201-132 edge in those games for a +69 rebounding margin.
- While Upstate leads the A-Sun with a +4.2 rebounding margin and sit atop the league in offensive rebounds (14.1), Lipscomb leads the conference in defensive rebounds at 26.4 per game and is second in offensive boards per game at 13.1.
- The Spartans put together an impressive display of perfection Saturday from the charity stripe, going 19-for-19 to fuel a six-point victory over Northern Kentucky. Entering the game, Upstate was shooting 61.4 percent from the free throw line, but connecting on 19 straight attempts raised the average to 64.3.
- The Bison snapped a three-game skid Saturday against ETSU, knocking off the Bucs 60-56 and picking up their first A-Sun victory of the year. Lipscomb is looking to win back-to-back games for the second time this season.
- With four players averaging between 11.1 and 12.6 points per game, Lipscomb is one of just two teams in the league with four players averaging double figures.
- Lipscomb is last in the A-Sun with 4.9 three-point field goals made per game. Deonte Alexander leads the way with 22 treys, while Martin Smith has tallied 18. Upstate sits 7th in the league at 5.9 three-pointers per game, paced by 28 from Torrey Craig and 26 from Ty Greene.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING: (Baylor's Scott Drew) "This is a game that as a coach, you know that your opponent is a lot better than people might realize. You can see them in the NCAA tournament winning a game."
(Kansas State's Bruce Weber) "They have a really good ball club. When we looked at it going into all these non-conference games they had 21 wins last year and the best turn-around in the country."
(Saint Louis' Jim Crews) "I thought they were good coming in, and I know they're good coming out. Every time we made a mistake, they drilled us every single time. It was uncanny. If we made a defensive slip, we got burned."