Spartans Cap Regular Season Friday at ETSU on CSS and ESPN3
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: David Beall, firstname.lastname@example.org
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's basketball team will put a lid on the 2012-13 regular season Friday evening, traveling to ETSU to battle the Buccaneers in a 7:05 p.m. contest that will be televised regionally on CSS and nationally on ESPN3.
The matchup between the Spartans (14-16, 8-9 A-Sun) and Buccaneers (10-20, 8-9 A-Sun) is the second meeting this season and 12th all-time with Upstate looking to sweep the season series.
Date: Fri. March 1 | 7:05 PM EST
Teams: USC Upstate (14-16, 8-9 A-Sun) at ETSU (10-20, 8-9 A-Sun)
Location: Johnson City, Tenn. | MSHA Athletic Center (6,500)
TV: CSS | ESPN3 | TV Talent: Matt Stewart (play-by-play), Sonny Smith (Analyst)
Radio: ESPN Spartanburg 97.1 FM / 1400 AM | Radio Talent: Phil Cox (play-by-play)
Live Stats: etsubucs.com
Twitter: @UPSTMBB | #UpstateHoops
- The Bucs hold an 8-3 lead in the all-time series, but Upstate has won each of the last two meetings after ETSU came out on top in eight of the first nine matchups. The Spartans have never won in Johnson City, Tenn., as all three Upstate victories in the series have come in the Hodge Center.
- Friday's matchup will feature a pair of teams looking to end the regular season at .500 and both have a chance for the No. 5 seed in the upcoming 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Conference Basketball Championship. ETSU holds a tiebreaker with North Florida, so if the Bucs win Friday they are locked into the No. 5 seed. If Upstate wins the Spartans will still need a UNF loss to be the No. 5 seed. An Upstate loss to ETSU and the Ospreys winning just one of its two remaining games will drop the Spartans to the No. 7 seed.
- In the Jan. 28 meeting between Upstate and ETSU, the Spartans placed four players in double figures and scored 55 second-half points to capture an 88-71 victory. The win marked just the third time this season Upstate rallied from a halftime deficit to pick up a victory.
- After reaching the 1,000 point mark for his career in Upstate's season-opener against Saint Louis, Torrey Craig will have the chance to score his 1,500th career point Friday in the Spartans final regular season game of the year. Sitting at 1,496 career points and No. 5 on the program's all-time scoring list, Craig needs just four points at ETSU to reach his second significant milestone of the year.
- Jodd Maxey will be looking to reach a milestone of his own Friday, sitting at 497 points for his career. If Maxey can tally three points at ETSU he will join Adrian Rodgers (523) and Babatunde Olumuyiwa (505), who recently hit the 500-point mark for their careers.
- After starting 3-0 in A-Sun road games, the Spartans have lost five straight league games away from home and are in desperate need of a road victory. Upstate has also lost six of seven overall and matchup with a Buccaneer club that has won three of their last five games.
- With 49 points over the last three games, Torrey Craig is back atop the conference in points per game at 16.9, sitting tied with Kennesaw State's Markeith Cummings. Craig is making a case for back-to-back A-Sun Player of the Year honors and his third major conference award in as many seasons.
- The Spartans are one of just three teams in the league with three or more players averaging double figures, as Torrey Craig (16.9), Ty Greene (12.4) and Ricardo Glenn (10.7) combine to produce 57-percent of Upstate's offensive production. FGCU and Lipscomb are the only other programs with three or more players averaging double digits.
- Upstate sits atop the league statistics in rebound margin at +3.9, one of six teams in the positive, while ETSU ranks last in the conference at -5.5. The Bucs outrebounded the Spartans 34-31 on the boards in the first meeting this season.