Nashville, Tenn. – Taylor White led the USC Upstate men's golf team at the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate on Monday with rounds of 79 and 74 as the Spartans opened play at the par 71, 6925-yard Richland Country Club.
Upstate began the tournament with rounds of 320 and 312, and currently sit in 14th place. The Spartans are two strokes back of Bradley, and six behind George Washington and Samford.
Along with the 153 turned in by White on Monday, Upstate also counted scores of 156 (78-78) from Matt Carter, 160 (81-79) from Sun Paripunna, 163 (82-81) from Jordan Warnock and 165 (82-83) from Tom Schofield.
Host Lipscomb leads the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate after day one with a team score of 574. Individually, Ole Miss' Braden Thornberry leads the tournament by eight strokes at 8-under 134.
White leads the Spartans after day one sitting in a tie for 29th place with his 153 followed by Carter who is tied for 41st. Paripunna sits in a tie for 62nd position and Warnock is alone in 72nd place. Schofield rounds out the individual standings for Upstate tied for 74th.
The final round of the Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate will tee off at 9 a.m. EST on Tuesday morning. Live scoring can be seen on www.upstatespartans.com via Golfstat.
- The Spartans concluded day one with a 3.50 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.58 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 5.25 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Upstate compiled 80 pars and 17 birdies on Monday.
- White, Carter and Schofield all led the Spartans with four birdies each, while Paripunna added three and Warnock two.
- White is one of the top players among the tournament field in par 4 scoring as he is tied for sixth at 3-over with a 4.17 stroke average.
- Carter sits a 2-under par to go with a 4.75 stroke average on par 5 holes.
- Schofield finished the day at 2-over in par 3 scoring and has a stroke average of 3.20.