Braselton, Ga. – Matt Carter led the USC Upstate men's golf team at the ASUN Men's Golf Championships on Monday by tying for 12th place following his final round 71 from the par 72, 7032 yard Legends Course at Chateau Elan.
Carter posted his lowest round of the tournament with the 71 on Monday and compiled a two-day score of 219 (75-73-71) during the 54 hole competition.
Upstate turned in its lowest score of the tournament of 298 and finished in sixth place with a three-round score of 907 (305-304-298). The Spartans counted scores in the third round of 74 from Taylor White, 76 from Jordan Warnock, 77 from Andrew Purcell and 82 from Sun Paripunna.
Kennesaw State held off Lipscomb by one stroke to win the ASUN Men's Golf Championships with a 1-under 863 (285-283-295). Individually, Dawson Armstrong of Lipscomb won individual medalist honors by four strokes after shooting a 6-under par 210 (70-69-71).
Carter had the lowest score of the tournament for Upstate with his final round 71, marking the third time this season he has carded a round with the same score. White was the team's second-highest finisher at tied for 19th place with a 225 (76-75-74). Warnock placed in a tie for 23rd position at 228 (76-76-76) followed by Purcell in a tie for 32nd with a 238 (80-81-77). Paripunna rounds out the leaderboard for the Spartans in 34th place at 240 (78-80-82).
- By averaging a 302.33 for the tournament, Upstate finishes the season with a 303.90 stroke average.
- The Spartans concluded the event with a 3.42 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.29 stroke average in par 4 scoring, and 2-over with a 5.03 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Upstate also recorded 136 pars and 42 birdies over the course of two days.
- Carter finished with a team-leading 12 birdies for the Spartans, while White contributed 10, Purcell eight, Warnock seven and Paripunna five.
- Carter was among the top players in the tournament field in par 4 scoring, par 5 scoring and birdies. Along with his 12 birdies, the sophomore finished 1-over with a 4.03 stroke average on par 4 holes and 3-under with a 4.75 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- Warnock finished at 2-over with a 3.17 stroke average in par 3 scoring, even-par with a 5.00 stroke average in par 5 scoring and added 30 pars.
- White tallied a 2-under score and 4.83 stroke average in par 5 scoring to go with his 10 birdies.