Spartanburg, S.C. – Lukas Sommer's penalty kick goal in the 84th minute broke a 1-1 tie as the USC Upstate men's soccer team claimed its second consecutive victory of the season with a 2-1 win over the Wofford Terriers on Saturday evening at County University Soccer Stadium.
Upstate improves to 2-3 on the season while Wofford falls to 0-5 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Terriers outshot the Spartans 16-12 but Upstate enjoyed an 8-4 advantage in shots on goal.
- Sommer and JR Cozine, who scored both of the Spartans goals, joined Calon Minors to lead Upstate with two shots each.
- Sam Ross took a match-high five shots for Wofford.
- Brady Moody, playing in his first collegiate match, came on for starter CJ Cluck and made two saves to earn his first career victory in net.
- Hunter Wages stopped six shots for the Terriers.
- Both teams attempted six corner kicks.
- The win for Upstate was its first over Wofford since a 4-0 victory on September 14, 1988.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Following a cross fed inside the 18-yard box to Anson Girone, Girone headed the ball over to Cozine who finished it near side for his second goal of the year in the 51st minute. (USC Upstate 1, Wofford 0)
- After Wofford's Dredon Kelly was assessed a yellow card in the 84th minute, Sommer capitalized on a penalty kick for his first goal of the season to break the 1-1 tie. (USC Upstate 2, Wofford 1)
- Ben Nickol took advantage of a failed Spartan clear as he headed the ball past Moody to tie the match at 1-1 in the 60th minute. (USC Upstate 1, Wofford 1)
- Upstate travels to Winthrop on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).