Jacksonville, Fla. – Cam Philpot scored his team-leading third goal of the season but the USC Upstate men's soccer team dropped a 3-1 decision in conference play to the Jacksonville Dolphins on Saturday evening at Southern Oak Stadium.
Upstate falls to 2-8-1 on the season and 0-3 in conference play while Jacksonville improves to 3-7 overall and 1-1 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a 17-11 advantage in shots while the Dolphins led 7-6 in attempts on goal.
- Jacksonville also led 4-3 in corner kicks and 5-4 in saves.
- Philpot registered his third goal of the season and finished with a team-high six shots, including two on goal, for Upstate.
- JR Cozine dished out his first assist of the season leading to the Philpot goal.
- Igor Ferreira and Connar Lukfin each scored for the Dolphins while Kai Bennett and Selemani Baruani had the assists.
- Ferreira and Ignazio Muccilli attempted a team-leading two shots with both going on goal.
- Spartan goalie CJ Cluck concluded the match with four saves while Jacksonville goalkeeper Patrick Harding had five.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Philpot tied the score at 1-1 for Upstate to start the second half in the 48th minute. Cozine passed the ball to Philpot into a crowded area in front of the box allowing him to score past Harding. (USC Upstate 1, Jacksonville 1)
- Ferreira got the Dolphins on the board first in the 3rd minute of play giving them a 1-0 lead. Bennett crossed the ball across the box to Ferreira leading to the goal. (USC Upstate 0, Jacksonville 1)
- Jacksonville took the lead back at 2-1 in the 52nd minute on an own goal by the Spartans. (USC Upstate 1, Jacksonville 2)
- Lufkin extended the Dolphins lead to 3-1 in the 71st minute. Baruani earned the assist after taking the ball down the field and passing off to Lufkin for the goal. (USC Upstate 1, Jacksonville 3)
- Upstate steps out of conference play on Tuesday, October 10 when it travels to Raleigh, N.C. for a 7 p.m. match against N.C. State.
Follow Upstate men's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).