Spartans Set for ITA All-American Championships
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – After back-to-back tournaments in the Carolinas, the USC Upstate men's tennis team will travel to the Tulsa, Okla. for the ITA All-American Championships hosted by the University of Tulsa.
At last weekend's GWU Fall Invitational, Ramiro Blanco and Matthias Kidler claimed the 'Draw A' doubles crown after victories over Presbyterian College's Ed Snead and Nathan Crocker (8-5) and two wins against Wofford (def. Korhan Ates and Adam Knustsson, 8-1; def. James Daly and Zac Landy, 8-2). Meanwhile, Gonzalo Blanco and Yvon Haessig claimed the 'Draw B' doubles title.
Ramiro Blanco claimed his second singles title of the fall as he won in straight sets over Tom Wood of Wofford (6-2, 6-4). Blanco, who claimed the No. 1 Flight at GWU, also won the singles crown at the Upstate Fall Classic (Sept. 16-18). In the No. 2 Flight, Matthias Kidler claimed the championship with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Wofford's Thomas Fanjoy.
Yvon Haessig claimed the No. 3 Flight with a 6-4, 6-1 finals victory over James Daly of Wofford. The Spartan sweep was capped with another victory over Wofford as Gonzalo Blanco defeated George Handy, 6-1, 6-1.
• The Spartans posted a perfect mark at the GWU Fall Invitational as they claimed all six titles at the two-day event.
• Ramiro Blanco/Matthias Kidler claimed the 'Draw A' doubles title at the GWU Fall Invitational while Gonzalo Blanco and Yvon Haessig were victorious in 'Draw B' doubles. In singles action, Ramiro Blanco (Flight No. 1), Matthias Kidler (Flight No. 2), Yvon Haessig (Flight No. 3) and Gonzalo Blanco (Flight No. 4) all claimed singles titles in Boiling Springs, N.C.
• Five of six Spartans advanced to the quarterfinal round in men's singles at the Upstate Fall Classic while all three doubles teams reached the quarterfinal round.
• Ramiro Blanco claimed the singles crown at the Upstate Fall Classic with a 7-6, 6-1 victory over his brother, Gonzalo Blanco.
• Ramiro Blanco and Matthias Kidler claimed the doubles crown at the Upstate Fall Classic the duo up-ended fellow Spartans Edgar Rodriguez and Yvon Haessig by a score of 8-4.