Spartans Set for Elon Fall Invitational
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's tennis team is set for its fourth tournament of the fall season as the squad travels to Elon, N.C., for this weekend's Elon Fall Invitational.
At the ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla., Matthias Kidler opened tournament play Sunday morning with a 6-3, 6-2 third-round victory over Spencer Wolf of Northwestern. Kidler battled Iowa's Will Vasos with a spot in the Qualifying Round on the line.
Kidler took the first set with ease by a score of 6-1. However, he could not hold on and advance as Vasos took sets two and three by scores of 7-5 and 6-4, respectively.
Ramiro Blanco dropped a three-set thriller in the third-round to Wichita State's Matheus Pereira, 3-6, 7-5, 6-7 (2). Meanwhile, Edgar Rodriguez also fell in the third round to David Holiner (Texas), 6-2, 6-0.
• Matthias Kidler fell one set shy of the Qualifying Round at the ITA All-American Championships, while Ramiro Blanco and Edgar Rodriguez lost in the third-round.
• The Spartans posted a perfect mark at the GWU Fall Invitational as they claimed all six titles at the two-day event.
• Ramiro Blanco/Matthias Kidler claimed the 'Draw A' doubles title at the GWU Fall Invitational while Gonzalo Blanco and Yvon Haessig were victorious in 'Draw B' doubles. In singles action, Ramiro Blanco (Flight No. 1), Matthias Kidler (Flight No. 2), Yvon Haessig (Flight No. 3) and Gonzalo Blanco (Flight No. 4) all claimed singles titles in Boiling Springs, N.C.
• Five of six Spartans advanced to the quarterfinal round in men's singles at the Upstate Fall Classic while all three doubles teams reached the quarterfinal round.
• Ramiro Blanco claimed the singles crown at the Upstate Fall Classic with a 7-6, 6-1 victory over his brother, Gonzalo Blanco.