Men’s Tennis to Make First Appearance in A-Sun Tournament
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's tennis team will make its inaugural appearance in the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament when they face off against Lipscomb in the opening round Friday at 8:30 a.m.
The Spartans and the Bison tangled back on March 31st with Lipscomb taking a 4-3 victory in Nashville, Tenn. Ramiro Blanco and Yvon Haessig picked up victories in three sets, at No. 1 singles and No. 5 singles, respectively, while Tyler Grove was victorious at singles No. 6. The Bison claimed the other three singles matches and picked up the doubles point to claim the 4-3 victory.
If the Spartans can knock off the Bison in the opening round, it will set up a rematch with the ETSU Bucs Saturday at 8:30 a.m. Last weekend, the Bucs downed the Spartans, 5-2, in the regular-season finale for both squads.
• The Spartans are making their first appearance in the A-Sun Conference Tournament after a five-year transition from D-II to D-I.
• Head Coach Dr. Oliver Trittenwein is in his second season at the helm of the Spartan tennis program... It is his 14th season overall.
• Ramiro Blanco was a unanimous First-Team All-Atlantic Sun selection... Blanco finished the regular season 15-3 in singles play... He owns a winning percentage of .800 (68-17) which places him second all-time in program history... His 68 wins are good enough for third in the Spartan record books.
• Matthias Kidler and Ramiro Blanco combined to post a 13-4 record in doubles action this season (all at doubles No. 1).
• Gonzalo Blanco ranks second on the team with 13 singles victories this season... Matthias Kidler and Yvon Haessig also reached the double-figure win plateau as both players posted 12 singles victories during the regular-season.
• Ramiro Blanco was tabbed the A-Sun Men's Tennis Player of the Week on Feb. 1... He has also earned National Guard Spartan of the Week honors four times in 2011-12.
• Matthias Kidler earned National Guard Spartan of the Week honors on Apr. 10.