JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – The USC Upstate men's tennis team saw its season come to a close Saturday morning with a 4-0 loss to ETSU in the semifinal round of the Atlantic Sun Tournament.
The Bucs picked up a trio of straight set victories in singles action to capture the victory in the semifinal matchup.
Despite bowing out of the tournament sooner than they hoped for, the Spartans finished the season 12-10 and picked up a tournament win in their first season of post-season eligibility after a five year transition from Division II to Division I.
Tennis Match Results
USC Upstate vs ETSU
April 21, 2012 at Johnson City, Tenn.
(Buddy Hartsell Tennis Center)
#72 ETSU 4, USC Upstate 0
1. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) vs. Ramiro Blanco (UPSTM) 6-3, 2-6, 2-1, unfinished
2. Sander Gille (ETSU) vs. Matthias Kidler (UPSTM) 3-6, 5-3, unfinished
3. Juan Ramirez (ETSU) def. Gonzalo Blanco (UPSTM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSU) vs. Yvon Haessig (UPSTM) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
5. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Pierre Vernin (UPSTM) 6-4, 6-1
6. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Jacob Darling (UPSTM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ramiro Blanco/Matthias Kidler (UPSTM) def. Sander Gille/Robin Akser (ETSU) 8-6
2. Jeremy Bonnevalle/Juan Ramirez (ETSU) def. Yvon Haessig/Pierre Vernin (UPSTM) 8-5
3. Rogerio Ribeiro/Jesus Bandres (ETSU) def. Gonzalo Blanco/Jacob Darling (UPSTM) 8-2
USC Upstate 12-10, 4-5 A-Sun
ETSU 13-8, 9-0 A-Sun; National ranking #72
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,3)
Atlantic Sun Semifinals
No. 1 ETSU vs. No. 5 USC Upstate