Spartans Set for Sunday Afternoon Season-Opener
Game Notes (PDF)
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's tennis team will kick-off the 2013 season this Sunday, welcoming Presbyterian College to town for a non-conference battle at the USC Upstate Tennis Complex.
The Spartans are 1-4 in season openers since entering the Division I ranks and the Atlantic Sun Conference in 2008, with the only win coming a year ago against Gardner-Webb. First serve against the Blue Hose is slated for 1 p.m.
- After finishing above the .500 mark at 12-10 a season ago and advancing to the A-Sun Tournament for the first time in program history, the Spartans have plenty to build on in 2013 with four key contributors returning to take Upstate to the next level.
- Head Coach Oliver Trittenwein embarks on his third season at the helm of the Spartans and 15th season as a head coach. He has a 24-21 record in two seasons at Upstate and a 157-155 overall record in 14 years spreading his knowledge on the courts.
- Gonzalo Blanco posted a 14-7 mark in singles action last spring, including a team-best 7-2 record in A-Sun play. The junior won seven of his final 10 matches last season and posted a 9-4 mark at No. 3 singles.
- Matthias Kidler proved to be the doubles killer a season ago, recording a 16-4 sophomore record at No. 1 doubles. His seven wins in A-Sun doubles action paced the team, while his 13 victories in singles play was third best on the squad a season ago.
- Jamie Yates had his coming out party in September when he ran the table at the Elon Fall Invitational, going 4-0 at the "C" singles flight to capture the individual championship. Just a few short weeks after embarking on his collegiate career Yates was awarded the Spartan of the Week.
- Yvon Haessig is one of three returning players with a winning record in singles action a year ago, posting a 12-8 mark, including an 8-3 record at No. 4 singles. He ended the season with six straight wins, including a straight-set victory in the opening round of the A-Sun Championship.
- The Spartans will play just four non-conference home matches during the 2013 season, welcoming Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb, Georgia Southern and Texas-Pan American to town, while hitting the road eight times out of league play.
Next Time Out: After taking on Presbyterian, the Spartans will head to the west coast for three straight matches in as many days in Eugen, Ore., battling Oregon (Jan. 25), Eastern Washington (Jan. 26) and Portland (Jan. 27).