Spartans Set for Clash with Pair of Eagles this Weekend
Game Notes (PDF)
SPARTANBURG, S.C. - The USC Upstate men's tennis team is back in action this weekend, traveling to nearby Winthrop Friday afternoon and welcoming Georgia Southern to town Saturday. Both matches are slated to start at 2 p.m.
- The Spartans are coming off their first back-to-back losses of the year last weekend, falling 4-3 at Coastal Carolina and getting blanked 7-0 at No. 39 UNC Wilmington.
- Upstate is perfect on the year at home with a 2-0 record, while posting a 1-1 record at neutral sites. The Spartans are winless in true road matches at 0-3 and will look to snap that streak Friday against Winthrop.
- Matthias Kidler and Viktor Selander are the only players on the team with an above .500 record in singles play. Kidler is 4-3 on the season, all coming at the No. 1 spot, while Selander is 4-2 on the year with a 3-2 mark at No. 4 and 1-0 record at No. 3.
- Winthrop is currently 2-4 on the season with three of those defeats coming at the hands of nationally ranked opponents. Losses to No. 69 Wake Forest, No. 60 Clemson and No. 39 UNC Wilmington lead the way, while the Eagles have also dropped a contest to the College of Charleston. The team's only win came at home, knocking off Tennessee Tech 5-2.
- Georgia Southern is enters the weekend 2-1 on the young season, having knocked off a pair of A-Sun teams along the way. The Eagles edged Mercer 4-3 and defeated Kennesaw State 6-1. Their only blemish on the season is a 5-2 setback at No. 60 Georgia State.
Last Time Out: The USC Upstate men's tennis team faced off against one of the best teams in the country Saturday afternoon, falling 7-0 at No. 39 UNC Wilmington at the UNCW Courts in non-conference action.
Next Time Out: After a pair of road matches against Winthrop and Georgia Southern, Upstate returns to action March 1-2, traveling to UNC Asheville to take on the Bulldogs, before returning home to face ETSU to open Atlantic Sun Conference action.