FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: David Beall, firstname.lastname@example.org
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate men's tennis team is looking to secure its second straight berth in postseason play this weekend, traveling to the state of Georgia to take on Kennesaw State and Mercer in the final matches of the regular season.
The Spartans (8-10, 2-4 A-Sun) are riding a two-match winning streak and look to stay on track this weekend when they battle the Owls Friday and Bears Saturday. First serve of both matches is set for 2 p.m.
- The Spartans are coming off a pair of home conference wins last weekend, defeating Northern Kentucky 5-2 and Lipscomb 4-3. The Consecutive victories marked the second time this season Upstate won back-to-back matches after knocking off Elon and Texas-Pan American March 2 and March 9.
- Since earning a national ranking on March 13, Matthias Kidler has rose to the occasion and won six consecutive singles matches, all coming at the top of the lineup. He was won nine straight matches overall and has not dropped a set since defeating Elon's 26th-ranked Cameron Silverman in three sets. Kidler is unbeaten in conference play at 5-0 and has a 13-3 mark overall. He is ranked No. 113 in the country according to the latest International Tennis Association (ITA) rankings released Monday, April 9.
- The Spartans are deadlocked with Kennesaw State and Mercer for the sixth and final spot in the upcoming Atlantic Sun Conference Men's Tennis Championship. With Upstate battling both squads this weekend and holding a tiebreaker with fifth-seeded Lipscomb, the Spartans could climb as high as No. 5 in the A-Sun standings when the regular season concludes.
- At 5-12 overall and 2-4 in league play, Kennesaw State enters weekend play having won back-to-back matches, but just two of its last six contests. The Owls edged Mercer 4-3 last weekend to hold the tiebreaker over the Bears.
- Mercer University opened the year with seven consecutive losses, but have rebounded since, going 5-6 with a 2-4 mark in A-Sun play. The Bears picked up conference wins over FGCU and Northern Kentucky and are looking for consecutive wins for the first time this season when they host ETSU Friday afternoon.
Last Time Out: The USC Upstate men's tennis team made it two wins in a row last Saturday, edging Lipscomb 4-3 in Atlantic Sun Conference play at the Upstate Tennis Complex.
Next Time Out: Following a pair of matches in the Peach State, Upstate will look advance to the 2013 Atlantic Sun Conference Men's Tennis Tournament April 19-21, hosted ETSU in Johnson City, Tenn.