FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Katie Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team (0-1) hits the road again, traveling to Norfolk, Va., Nov. 13 to take on Old Dominion (1-0) at 7 p.m. The Monarchs picked up a 55-35 victory at Virginia Tech Nov. 9 in their season-opener.
The Lady Monarchs return seven letterwinners and three starters from last season's squad that went 11-21. ODU added five newcomers in the offseason.
Incoming freshmen include guards Galaisha Goodhope and LaQuanda Younger and center Brittany Martin. Transfers in to ODU include forward Shae Kelley and guard Stephanie Gardner.
ODU was picked to finish fifth in the preseason Colonial Athletic Association poll. Sophomore guard Ashley Betz-White was named to honorable mention list for All-CAA preseason accolades.
Against Virginia Tech, Jackie Cook led the Monarchs with 17 points, while Shae Kelley was second on the team with 14 points. Kelley went 5-for-10 from the floor, while Cook connected on 7-of-8 from the charity stripe. Both Cook and Kelley flirted with double-doubles, snagging nine rebounds each.
Mairi Buchan helped Old Dominion, putting up 10 points against the Hookies. Cook handed out three assists as did Ashley Betz-White. Cook also swiped a team-high three steals for ODU.
• The Spartans start the 2012-13 season with four-straight road games, including a Nov. 13 at Old Dominion at 7 p.m. Upstate opened the season on the road at No. 21/18 Purdue with a 82-47 loss Nov. 10.
• Copney was named to the 2012-13 Preseason All-Atlantic Sun Team, after averaging 15.7 points per game last season and ranking third in the A-Sun in scoring average. She was an All-Conference First Team selection at the end of the 2011-12 season.
• In the 2012-13 A-Sun Preseason Coaches Poll, Upstate was picked seventh, tallying 35 points alongside league newcomer Northern Kentucky, who also garnered 35 points.
• The Spartans also claimed seventh in the A-Sun Preseason Media Poll, collecting 93 points.
• Upstate has a difficult nonconference slate this season with four NCAA Tournament teams from last year on the docket, including three teams currently ranked in the AP Top 25 and ESPN/USA Today Poll in Kentucky, West Virginia and Purdue.
• The Spartans return six players from last year's squad, including redshirt freshman Maddie Herr and welcome seven newcomers. Upstate welcomes four freshmen (Brittany Clency, Travonda Haddock, Tweety Hawkins and Brittany Starling) and a trio of junior college transfers (Shanice Cooper, KeArrow Jenkins and Valese McAllister).