FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Katie Parker, email@example.com
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team (1-3) is set for its home-opener against St. Andrews at 7 p.m., where the Spartans will honor the late George Gaines Jr. prior to tip-off.
SCOUTING THE KNIGHTS
This will be the first meeting between St. Andrews and Upstate. The Knights are 1-4 on the season, picking up a 79-60 win over Morris Nov. 6.
St. Andrews is an NAIA Division II program. The team is led by Kimayah Fulcher, averaging 9.8 points per game, while Jazmyne Harvey and Ja'Quaia Caracter are next in line with 7.5 and 6.3 points a contest, respectively.
Fulcher also paces the Knights in rebounding, grabbing 4.8 boards a game. Caracter is second on the team, pulling down 4.5 rebounds a contest.
In St. Andrews' last outing, the squad dropped a 64-57 contest at Agnes Scott College Saturday. Caracter led the Knights on the day, posting 19 points. She flirted with a double-double, adding nine rebounds. Fulcher was second on the team with 15 points, connecting on 9-of-10 from the free throw line.
The Knights return five players from the 2011-12 squad that went 0-24 on the year and 0-20 in conference play. This season St. Andrews welcomes 11 newcomers.
• The Spartans closed-out their four-game road swing, taking a 75-45 loss at No. 14/19 West Virginia Saturday. Upstate opened the season with two-straight losses as the Spartans dropped contests at Purdue Nov. 10 and at Old Dominion Nov. 13.
• Upstate is 3-2 in its home-openers over the last five years.
• Upstate picked-up its first win of the season at Norfolk State Nov. 15 with a 71-64 come-from-behind overtime win.
• Senior Tyra Smith recorded a team-high 10 points at WVU Saturday.
• Freshman center Brittany Starling sparkled for Upstate Nov. 13 at Old Dominion, pacing the team with 17 points. She was a perfect 7-for-7 from the floor, including a quick three-pointer in the first half as the shot clock was winding down. The rookie posted double-figures against Thursday at Norfolk state, recording 10 points.
• Senior guard Tee'Ara Copney led the Spartans against the Boilermakers Nov. 10, posting 16 points, while Starling pulled down a team-high five rebounds. Copney also led Upstate against NSU Nov. 15 with another 16 points.
• Freshman Tweety Hawkins was second on the team against NSU, putting up 14 points.
• Copney was named to the 2012-13 Preseason All-Atlantic Sun Team, after averaging 15.7 points per game last season and ranking third in the A-Sun in scoring average. She was an All-Conference First Team selection at the end of the 2011-12 season.
• Upstate has a difficult nonconference slate this season with four NCAA Tournament teams from last year on the docket, including three teams currently ranked in the AP Top 25 and ESPN/USA Today Poll in Kentucky, West Virginia and Purdue.