Spartans Face-off with Owls Monday
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Katie Parker, email@example.com
KENNESAW, Ga. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team (5-12, 1-5 A-Sun) wraps up its Peach State tour, facing Atlantic Sun Conference opponent Kennesaw State (4-14, 0-6 A-Sun) Monday for a 7 p.m. tip-off.
This will be the 28th meeting between Upstate and Kennesaw State. The Owls hold a 20-7 record in the all-time series, including an 11-2 advantage when playing the Spartans in Kennesaw, Ga.
The Owls are still looking for their first Atlantic Sun Conference win this season as they are the only team still winless in league play. KSU is currently on a seven game skid with its last win coming at home Dec. 21 against Georgia Southern with a 53-39 victory. The Owls are 0-6 in conference play, dropping four games at home and two on the road in Jacksonville, Fla.
On the season, Kristina Wells leads Kennesaw State in scoring with 11.5 points per game. Sametria Gideon paces the squad, averaging a double-double of 11.1 points per contest and 10.3 rebounds an outing. Gideon tops the A-Sun in rebounds per game. Ashley Holliday and Chelsea Mason help the Owl offense, averaging 9.6 and 9.2 points a game, respectively.
In the squad's last outing, KSU was edged by ETSU 62-59 Jan. 19. Wells led all scorers with 19 points, while snagging nine boards. Gideon was second on the team, putting up 13 points and pulling down eight rebounds. Chantel Kennedy tallied 12 points for the Owls.
Kennesaw State swept Upstate in both contests last season. The Spartans dropped a 74-63 decision in Spartanburg Jan. 7, 2012 and then fell on the road at KSU 54-45 Feb. 2, 2012. This season, the Owls are 2-5 at home, while Upstate is 2-7 on the road.
SPARTAN QUICK HITS
• The Spartans fell to 2-7 on the road this season after dropping a 72-55 decision at Mercer Jan. 19 as Upstate struggled shooting the ball, posting a 32.8 field goal percentage.
• Upstate looks to snap its current five-game losing-streak and two game skid against Kennesaw State.
• The loss at Mercer Saturday marks the second-straight weekend that the Spartans have squared off with a team led by the current conference Player of the Week. Upstate fell to Stetson 84-66 Jan.12, while SU's Victoria McGowan held the league's weekly honor. MU was led by the reigning A-Sun Player of the Week, Precious Bridges.
• Freshmen Brittany Starling and Brittany Clency led Upstate in its last outing at Mercer Jan. 19. Starling posted a career-high 18 points for her second-straight double-digit scoring effort and seventh this season. Clency tallied 10 points for her second double-figure performance on the year.
• The Spartans climbed to second in the A-Sun with a 74.5 free throw percentage, while ranking 28th in the NCAA national statistical rankings. Senior Tyra Smith is second in the A-Sun, shooting 83.0 percent from the line. She ranks 72nd in the latest NCAA national statistical rankings, connecting on 44-of-53 from the charity stripe.
• Upstate ranks second in the Atlantic Sun in defensive rebounds, snagging 26.4 defensive boards per game. The Spartans are third in the conference in field goal percentage, shooting 40.4 percent from the floor, while ranking 91st in the NCAA national statistical rankings.
• After setting the Upstate career record in steals this season, senior Tee'Ara Copney currently ranks second in the league in steals per game, averaging 2.6 a contest. The thief ranks 55th in the NCAA stats.
Fans can watch the action as its streamed live for free at ASun.TV or follow along on Live Stats. Join in the conversation on Twitter at #UpstateWBB. Follow Upstate women's basketball this season on your mobile device, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.