Photo courtesy of David Allio
Spartanburg, S.C. – Tamera Thorpe led the USC Upstate women's basketball team with 16 points but the Spartans were unable to overcome a series of Furman runs as the Paladins claimed an 80-59 win at the G.B. Hodge Center on Sunday afternoon.
Furman improves to 6-2 while Upstate drops to 2-7.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Thorpe finished in double figures for the fifth time this season.
- Diamon Shiflet recorded a career-high with 13 points. It is the second consecutive game and third time this season that she's finished in double digits.
- Brittney Delva led Upstate with three assists.
- Cierra Carter scored a game-high 17 points to lead Furman. She posted a double-double with a game-high 11 rebounds.
- Le'Jzae Davidson (14 points), Stephania Oramas (12) and DeAnneisha Jackson (10) each finished in double figures.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Furman opened the game on an 8-0 run before Anda Kuzmina got the Spartans on the board with a jumper at the 6:32 mark.
- The Paladins took a 13-2 lead after a Carter jumper with 5:12 remaining.
- Shiflet brought the Spartans within seven, 13-6, after a basket with 4:32 left.
- Carter hit a deep 3-pointer as the first quarter ended to give the visitors a 23-12 lead.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Paladins opened the quarter on a 7-0 run capped by a Tyah Hunter jumper for a 30-12 lead with 5:51 remaining.
- A Camilla Kilinc 3-pointer made the score 35-22 with just under four minutes to play.
- Following a pair of Jarya Outten free throws at the 3:07 mark, Upstate finished the second quarter on a 5-0 run as Thorpe completed the three point play with 26 seconds remaining for the final points of the quarter. Furman led 38-27 at halftime.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Davidson's 3-pointer at the 5:39 mark capped a 10-0 Furman run to open the quarter.
- A steal and fastbreak layup by Delva brought the hosts within 19, 57-38, with 1:37 to play.
- Furman led 62-38 at the end of the frame.
FOUR QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- A pair of layups by Delva and Thorpe brought Upstate to within 21, 63-42, with 8:47 remaining.
- Furman took its largest lead of the game at 26 points as a Jackson layup gave the Paladins a 70-44 edge at the 6:53 mark.
- Shiflet made a 3-pointer on consecutive Spartan possessions, the last of which came with 49 seconds left, to eclipse her previous career-high.
- Upstate travels to William & Mary on Tuesday for a 7 p.m. start.
Follow Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).