Greenville, S.C. – The Furman Paladins scored five unanswered goals as they defeated the USC Upstate women's soccer team 6-1 on Friday night at Seagraves Field at Stone Soccer Stadium.
Furman improves to 1-0 while Upstate drops to 0-1.
Stats of the Match
- Furman outshot Upstate 19-9 and held a 9-2 edge in shots on goal.
- Kate Winegarner led Upstate with three shots. Emelie Valenciano and Abbie Ellis each took two shots.
- Treva Aycock took a match-high five shots to lead Furman.
- Brooke Bailey made three saves for the Spartans.
- Kellsey Weaver made one save for the Paladins.
- The Spartans held a 6-4 advantage in corner kicks.
- A total of 20 Spartans saw action in the match, with six players making their Upstate debuts.
USC Upstate Goals
- On a ball played in by a free kick, Jada Kinlaw crossed a ball to Valenciano, who found the back of the net to tie the contest at 1 at 27:19. (USC Upstate 1, Furman 1).
- After a Rachel Shah shot hit the crossbar, Molly Dwyer collected the rebound and made a pass to Amanda Baker who finished the ball for the first goal of the match at 24:47 (Furman 1, USC Upstate 0).
- Caitlyn Reilly gave the Paladins a 2-1 lead as she scored on a deflection over Bailey following an Aycock cross at 43:18 (Furman 2, USC Upstate 1).
- A Dwyer header off of a corner kick at 53:49 gave Furman a 3-1 lead (Furman 3, USC Upstate 1).
- Aycock's shot to the left side of the net stretched the Furman lead to 4-1 at the 55:05 mark (Furman 4, USC Upstate 1).
- Baker took a long cross from Claudia Murphy and fired a shot into the right corner of the net for her second goal of the match at 73:30 (Furman 5, USC Upstate 1).
- Baker completed the hat trick with a goal at 84:59 (Furman 6, USC Upstate 1).
- Upstate hosts Radford in its home opener Sunday at 7 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).