Spartanburg, S.C. – A trio of goals during a seven minute span early in the second half gave the Radford Highlanders a 3-2 win over USC Upstate on Sunday evening at County University Soccer Stadium. The match was Upstate's home opener.
Radford improves to 2-0 while Upstate falls to 0-2.
Stats of the Match
- Upstate held a 17-13 edge in shots, but was outshot 10-9 in the second half.
- Isabella Burns took a match-high five shots. Emelie Valenciano and Abbie Ellis each had three shots.
- Jasmine Casarez took three shots to lead Radford.
- Radford had six corner kicks while Upstate had four.
- Katie McCormick made three saves in the second half to earn the win for the Highlanders.
- Lexi Dean allowed two goals with one save in the first half.
- Brooke Bailey made three saves for the Spartans.
USC Upstate Goals
- Ellis scored the opening goal of the match on a free kick at 22:08 (USC Upstate 1, Radford 0).
- Autumn Gore played a cross to the right post to Leah Tyson, who finished the ball to give the Spartans a 2-0 lead at 41:11 (USC Upstate 2, Radford 0).
- Emily Dunn got the Highlanders on the board at 59:50 on a shot on the left side from 35 yards out (USC Upstate 2, Radford 1).
- Allyson Giannone played a ball into traffic, which deflected to Claire Dundon, who scored the game-tying goal at 65:00 (Radford 2, USC Upstate 2).
- On a Giannone corner kick, Gabi Paupst found a loss ball in the box and scored the game-winning goal at the 66:54 mark (Radford 3, USC Upstate 2).
- Upstate hosts Alabama A&M next Sunday at 1 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).