Spartanburg, S.C. – Catie Slater's goal in the 88th minute completed a three-goal second half comeback for Wofford as they defeated USC Upstate 3-2 on Friday night at County University Soccer Stadium.
Wofford improves to 2-4-0 while Upstate falls to 2-3-0.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Wofford outshot Upstate 17-12 and had a 9-7 edge in shots on goal.
- Abbie Ellis led Upstate with four shots. Isabella Burns followed with three shots while Kate Winegarner had two.
- Emma Fletcher took a match-high five shots for Wofford.
- The Spartans enjoyed a 4-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Brooke Bailey made six saves in net for Upstate.
- Mayson Liner made five saves for Wofford.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Off an Ellis corner kick, Winegarner found a ball in traffic and touched it just past the goal line before the Wofford defense could clear at 21:42. (USC Upstate 1, Wofford 0)
- Jada Kinlaw raced down the right side of the field before crossing the ball to the middle of the box, where Ellis was waiting and finished for her second goal of the season at 26:28. (USC Upstate 2, Wofford 0)
- Hayley Younginer stole the ball from the Upstate defense and fired a shot from 25 yards out just inside the left post to get Wofford on the board at 68:05 . (USC Upstate 2, Wofford 1)
- Wofford tied the match at 2-2 as Younginer passed the ball to Katie Beuerlein, who shot from just inside the 18 yard box. (USC Upstate 2, Wofford 2)
- Slater completed the comeback for the Terriers as her shot from 20 yards out grazed the crossbar and went in at 87:20. (Wofford 3, USC Upstate 2)
- Upstate travels to Winthrop on Sunday at 6 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).