Rock Hill, S.C. – Isabella Burns scored her first goal of the season for the USC Upstate women's soccer team but it wasn't enough to overcome a 2-0 deficit as the Spartans lost 2-1 to Winthrop at Eagle Field on Sunday evening.
Winthrop improves to 3-2-1 while Upstate drops to 2-4-0.
Stats of the Match
- Winthrop outshot Upstate 16-8 and held a 6-4 advantage in shots on goal.
- Abbie Ellis led Upstate with four shots followed by Leah Tyson with two shots.
- Courtney McLeod attempted four shots to lead the Eagles.
- The Eagles had five corner kicks compared to two for Upstate.
- Brooke Bailey made four saves for Upstate.
- Kelly Horan stopped three shots for Winthrop.
USC Upstate Goals
- A cross by Burns was misplayed by Horan and went over her head into the goal to get the Spartans on the board in the 32nd minute. (Winthrop 2, USC Upstate 1)
- Allie Thomas got the Eagles on the board in the 18th minute as she headed in a cross from McLeod. (Winthrop 1, USC Upstate 0)
- Gabi Hull gave the hosts a 2-0 lead in the 26th minute as she tucked a shot into the far corner from inside the 18-yard box. (Winthrop 2, USC Upstate 0)
- Upstate travels to Presbyterian College on Tuesday for a 7 p.m. match.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).