Spartanburg, S.C. – Isabella Burns scored her second goal of the season but it wasn't enough as Florida Gulf Coast defeated USC Upstate 3-1 in ASUN women's soccer action on Sunday at County University Soccer Stadium.
Florida Gulf Coast improves to 10-2-1 overall and 3-0-1 in league play while Upstate drops to 6-7-1 and 1-2-1.
Stats of the Match
- Florida Gulf Coast outshot Upstate 28-2 and held an 11-1 edge in shots on goal.
- Burns and Autumn Gore attempted both of Upstate's shots. Gore's shot from inside the 18-yard box hit the crossbar in the 20th minute.
- Marjorie Boilesen took a match-high five shots for the Eagles. Cassidy Morgan and Varin Ness each took four shots.
- Brooke Bailey made eight saves for Upstate.
- The Eagles attempted all 12 of the corner kicks in the match.
Florida Gulf Coast Goals
- After she was taken down just inside the box, Lauren Greene converted a penalty kick to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead in the 36th minute. (Florida Gulf Coast 1, USC Upstate 0)
- Cassidy Morgan gave the visitors a 2-0 lead as she fired home a shot from the left side 25 yards outside of the box in the 53rd minute. (Florida Gulf Coast 2, USC Upstate 0)
- Morgan finished the scoring in the 69th minute with a goal from the top left portion of the 18-yard box. (Florida Gulf Coast 3, USC Upstate 1)
USC Upstate Goals
- Abbie Ellis beat a defender down the left side and crossed the ball through the box to Burns, who tapped the pass in by the right post for her second goal of the year in the 64th minute. (Florida Gulf Coast 2, USC Upstate 1)
- Upstate hosts Lipscomb on Saturday at 1 p.m. The Spartans will honor their seniors prior to the match.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).