Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team scored six runs in the bottom of the third inning and would go on to sweep the Stetson Hatters on Saturday afternoon with a 9-2 victory in the finale of a three-game ASUN series at Cyrill Stadium.
Upstate improves to 36-10 on the season and 9-3 in conference play, while Stetson falls to 24-14 overall and 2-7 in the league.
- Top 1st – The Hatters struck first with a single run in the first on an RBI sacrifice bunt by Ashly Smith to lead the Spartans 1-0. Jessie Tenbroeck led off the game with a walk and advanced to third on a stolen base and sacrifice bunt.
- Top 3rd – Tenbroeck increased Stetson's lead to 2-0 with her leadoff home run that hit off the foul pole in left field.
- Bottom 3rd – Upstate responded with a six-run frame in the third to take a 6-2 lead. The Spartans homered twice in the inning as Abbie Millete hit a two-run home run and Brittany Case followed with a solo homer. The first two runs of the inning came on a throwing error by the Hatters. Ryan Rector then drove in one run with her RBI single to right field.
- Bottom 6th – Upstate added three more runs in the sixth to extend its lead to 9-2. Karla Beasley started the scoring after coming home on a wild pitch, while Rector and Ansley Gilstrap added a pair of RBI singles.
- Holly McKinnon (19-6) came on in relief and earned the win throwing 4.2 innings and gave up one run on four hits, one walk and four strikeouts.
- Brooke Hutto (12-5) suffered the loss after giving up six runs (none earned) on five hits, no walks and one strikeout in three innings of work.
- Spartan starting pitcher Lexi Shubert threw two innings and allowed one run on one hit, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Gilstrap, Rector and Millete all had two hits each to lead Upstate offensively, while Rector and Millete both contributed two RBI.
- Millete hit her seventh home run of the season, and second in the series, and is now tied with Beasley for first on the team.
- Gilstrap scored twice and had one RBI along with Case.
- Tenbroeck went 1-for 3 with two runs scored and one RBI for the Hatters, and Smith also collected one RBI.
- The Spartans play their final non-conference games of the season on Tuesday, April 18 when they travel to Johnson City, Tenn. for a doubleheader against the East Tennessee State Buccaneers beginning at 4 p.m.