Tucson, Ariz. – Freshman Caylie Van Auken made her first collegiate start on Saturday morning and struck out a career-high six batters, but the ninth-ranked Arizona Wildcats scored three runs in the bottom of the fourth to defeat the No. 24/25 USC Upstate softball team 3-0 on day two of the Wildcat Invitational at Hillenbrand Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 18-3 on the season while Arizona improves to 19-2 overall.
- Bottom 4th – The Wildcats plated three runs in their half of the fourth to take a 3-0 lead over the Spartans. Dejah Mulipola started the scoring with her RBI single to left field and Malia Martinez followed the next at-bat with a two-run homer to center field.
- Taylor McQuillin (14-1) picked up the win after throwing a complete game and did not allow a run on four hits, no walks and nine strikeouts.
- Van Auken (2-1) took the loss following the first complete game of her career and surrendered three runs on four hits, no walks and six strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Kristen Wright, Karla Beasley, Megan Obier and Kendsey Chappelear all collected one hit apiece for USC Upstate.
- Four different Arizona hitters recorded one hit in Mulipola, Martinez, Alyssa Palomino and Reyna Carranco.
- Martinez finished with two RBI and Mulipola one.
- The Spartans face San Diego at 3 p.m. EST in their fourth game of the Wildcat Invitational.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).