Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team began its three-game series with Jacksonville on Saturday afternoon splitting a doubleheader against the Dolphins by identical 3-2 scores from Cyrill Stadium.
The Spartans are now 29-15 on the season and 8-6 in conference play while Jacksonville moves to 23-20 overall and 4-4 in the league.
USC Upstate dropped the opener 3-2 before returning in game two to record a 3-2 victory.
GAME ONE – JACKSONVILLE 3, USC UPSTATE 2
- Bottom 1st – USC Upstate struck first for a 1-0 lead in the first on an RBI single from Logan Morris. Beasley and Kristen Wright both got on base prior to Morris' single as Wright reached on an error and Beasley walked. Wright scored from second on the single by Morris to right center field.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans added to their lead at 2-0 following a single run in the fifth. For the second time in the game, Wright reached on a Dolphin fielding error and advanced to second in the process. Wright then moved to third on a wild pitch and scored following a passed ball.
- Top 6th – Jacksonville tied the game at 2-2 in its half of the sixth scoring twice on a wild pitch and RBI bunt single from Madison Ragan.
- Top 7th – The Dolphins took a 3-2 lead after adding another run on an RBI sacrifice fly to center field by Allie McCourt.
- Alyssa Bilodeau (14-7) earned the win throwing a complete game and gave up two runs (none earned) on seven hits, four walks and four strikeouts.
- Caylie Van Auken (4-3) suffered the loss allowing one run on no hits, one walk and one strikeout in 1.2 innings of relief.
- USC Upstate starter Christina Biggerstaff went 5.1 innings and surrendered two runs on two hits, five walks and five strikeouts.
- Morris led the Spartans offensively with two hits and one RBI.
- USC Upstate also had five players collect one hit apiece in Beasley, Chappelear, Brittany Case, Megan Obier and Kayla Hussey.
- Wright scored both of the runs for the Spartans.
- McCourt and Ragan had one hit and one RBI each to lead Jacksonville.
GAME TWO – JACKSONVILLE 2, USC UPSTATE 3
- Bottom 1st – For the second straight game, Morris gave USC Upstate a 1-0 lead in the first on her RBI single down the left field line. Wright scored on the base hit after reaching on a one-out single and then stole second base.
- Bottom 3rd – The Spartans extended their lead to 3-0 on Beasley's two-RBI triple down the right field line. Makenna Helton, pinch-running for Elisa Cecchetti, and Ansley Gilstrap came home on Beasley's first triple of the season. Cecchetti led off the inning by reaching on an error while Gilstrap singled to center field.
- Top 4th – The Dolphins cut USC Upstate's lead down to 3-2 scoring twice on a home run by Heather Roberts and RBI single from Danielle Baker.
- Erin Hill (8-3) picked up the win tossing 5.1 innings and gave up two runs on seven hits, one walk and two strikeouts.
- Van Auken (1) recorded her first collegiate save after not allowing a run over 1.2 innings of relief while giving up one hit, no walks and no strikeouts.
- Seana Mora (6-9) took the loss pitching 5.1 innings and surrendered three runs (two earned) on seven hits, no walks and two strikeouts.
- Wright and Hussey finished with a team-leading two hits for the Spartans.
- Beasley drove in a team-best two RBI while Morris added one RBI.
- Roberts had four hits to lead Jacksonville and recorded one RBI along with Baker.
- USC Upstate concludes its three-game series with the Dolphins on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).