DeLand, Fla. – The third-seed USC Upstate softball team scored four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning and held on late for a 4-2 victory over the fourth-seeded Lipscomb Bisons on Friday afternoon in game eight of the ASUN Softball Championship from Patricia Wilson Field.
USC Upstate improves to 34-18 on the season while Lipscomb's season ends with a 33-17 overall record.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans broke a scoreless tie in the fifth scoring four times to hold a 4-0 lead. Kristen Wright began the scoring with her RBI single to center field and Logan Morris followed three batters later getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Brittany Case increased the lead out to four runs after her two-RBI single to center field.
- Top 6th – The Bisons answered with a single run to cut USC Upstate's lead to 4-1 on an RBI sacrifice fly to right field by Sarah Higgins.
- Top 7th – Lipscomb made it a 4-2 game to start the inning on lead off solo home run to right field by Peyton Ward.
- Christina Biggerstaff (17-10) went the distance for the 19th time this season and surrendered two runs on five hits, two walks and four strikeouts.
- Chloe Yeager (10-3) took the loss allowing four runs on five hits, three walks and four strikeouts in 4.1 innings of work.
- Wright led the Spartans offensively with a 2-for-4 performance at the plate with one RBI and one run scored.
- Case added one hit while driving in a team-high two RBI.
- Morris contributed one hit and one RBI.
- Five different Bisons posted one hit while Higgins and Ward both had one RBI.
- USC Upstate faces No. 2 Florida Gulf Coast with a berth to the championship round on the line. First pitch is scheduled for 6:10 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).