Game Notes (PDF)
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's tennis team will kick-off the 2013 season Monday afternoon, traveling to the University of South Carolina to take on the Gamecocks at the Carolina Tennis Center.
The Spartans are 3-2 in season openers since entering the Division I ranks and the Atlantic Sun Conference in 2008, including a 5-2 win over Presbyterian a year ago.
- The Spartans posted seven wins last season and four A-Sun victories as they kept their postseason hopes alive until the final match of the regular season.
- Head Coach Oliver Trittenwein embarks on his third season at the helm of the Upstate women's team and has 14 years of coaching experience.
- Upstate capped its fall season at the Gardner-Webb Classic and dominated the field with 14 victories in 17 attempts in singles play, while picking up wins in six of seven doubles matches. In five fall tournaments, the Spartans captured at least one championship in each event.
- The senior duo of Julie Bell and Allison Beeler will look to lead a much-improved team back to the A-Sun tournament in 2013. Bell is coming off a stellar fall campaign that saw the senior capture the Flight 10 Championship at the Clemson Fall Classic.
- After transferring from Auburn University, Taylor Cohen opened her fall season with doubles and singles titles at the Elon Invitational, posting a perfect 7-0 mark for the weekend with the help of Julie Bell in doubles play.
- Isabel von Stryk and Talia Rojas put it all together in the USC Upstate Fall Classic, teaming up to win three matches in as many days and claim the back draw championship with an 8-0 victory in the title match.
- Constanze Kuerten and Sarah Vande Berg are the lone freshmen on the squad and will look to make an immediate impact as they begin their first season at the collegiate level.
Next Time Out: After taking on South Carolina, the Spartans will travel to Presbyterian for a Jan. 26 matchup with the Blue Hose, before returning home to battle UNC Charlotte Feb. 1.